torsion suspension squeak...

BeRice21

Cadet
I just bought a boat and it has a torsion suspension setup on the trailer. It has a really bad squeak and I do not know how to get rid of it other than to buy a new axle, any suggestions?

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer
Re: torsion suspension squeak...

I have a torsion trailer and the only squeaks that come from it are from loose bolted joints. Suggest that you go over the trailer and tighten all the bolts, paying close attention to the mounting bolts for the axles, and coupler.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Most likely your bushings are shot

BeRice21

Cadet

I will try tightening the bolts, so then the only other solution is buying a new axle?

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Pulling this outa my arse drill some holes, install zirks, grease em????:p

rwidman

Lieutenant

Pulling this outa my arse drill some holes, install zirks, grease em????:p

Put it back in. :rolleyes:

You can't drill holes in an axle and grease it.

To the OP, you should try to determine exactly where the squeaks are comming from. Then take it from there. I have never heard of a torsion axle squeaking and I have never seen a maintenance proceedure to stop squeaking.

If you can't figure it out, take it to a local trailer shop. They will find the problem.

BeRice21

Cadet

K thanks, I had thought the same about drilling a hole but was not sure and was going on the assumption that it would not be a good idea, but would it hurt it?

rwidman

Lieutenant

K thanks, I had thought the same about drilling a hole but was not sure and was going on the assumption that it would not be a good idea, but would it hurt it?

Is the axle ever submersed in water? Do you want to let water in?

Do some Internet research. A torsion axle has rubber inserts to provide the springing action. Is oil or grease good for rubber? (The answer is "no").

Find the squeak. If it's actually the axle and not the mounting, replace it, it's shot.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

If it gets to the point where u r gonna replace the axle... u dont have much to lose. maybe RWIDMAN is correct I dunno... thats why I admitted where I pulled that idea from:eek: yeah there :D

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

You can drill a hole, install a zerk fitting and then add grease to the torsion axle.
It depends on what brand torsion axle you have and the design.
Your brand may even allow you to spray some lube into it from the end or via a drilled hole.
Not all brands fill the axle tube with rubber.

Crawl under the trailer and see if you can identify the axle brand. Via a tag on the axle or by visual comparison and internet research.

Then contact the manufacturer and ask if it can be lubed and with what and why.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Yes good points However if you drill holes and install zirks they are water proof And yes ,petroleum based lubes arent good for rubber, However silicone based would be acceptable ???? Or No???????:confused:

BeRice21

Cadet

went and looked at the trailer an the only name i found is who made the trailer not anything on the axle unless that is who made the axle to the trailer is a vantag trailer. I have been thinking about the drilling the hole thing all day I have already went over all the mounting hardwear and made sure it was all tight

jrampey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Squirt some dish soap into the axle... petroleum products are not good for rubber.

rwidman

Lieutenant

went and looked at the trailer an the only name i found is who made the trailer not anything on the axle unless that is who made the axle to the trailer is a vantag trailer. I have been thinking about the drilling the hole thing all day I have already went over all the mounting hardwear and made sure it was all tight

Well, contact the trailer manufacturer and ask about the axle.

I suspect you're going to drill the hole anyway so have at it. Let us know how it works out. ;)