Need opinions on bad repair

jd4324

Recruit
I just bought a 95 bayliner capri 2050 that runs like an absolute top except it leaks a few ounces of drive unit lube into the bilge in a few hours of run time. The previous owner had it in to Pro power sports and marine in Ramsey, Miinnesota last November and had a new shaft seal kit put in to solve this issue. He has all receipts. After the repair he never put the boat in the water until I test drove it 2 weeks ago. After my first hour on the water the bilge had 5 gallons of water in it as they had not hooked up the speedo tube. My questions are: Is a small amount of leakage normal? Can I show them the receipt from last November, from the prior owner, and get any results? I realize other issues may be the cause of another seal failure, but the price I paid was a little higher due to the confidence of having this maintenance done on it. This is what I would consider a good dealer. What do you think.

howlnmad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need opinions on bad repair

There is no harm in inquiring about a warranty on the repairs, but I seriously doubt you will get any. You are the new owner. The repairs were done 10 months ago. No telling how the boat was used in that time even though you say it hasn't been. I'd say the re-repair costs will be on you.