Help! ANTIFREEZE IN 2-4-6-8/HEAD GASKET OR EXHAUST MANIFOLD?

Aquasportdad

Cadet
Recently rebuilt Crusader 5.7 Classic Series port engine with a total of maybe 30 minutes running time. Ran great then... Began blowing white smoke out the exhaust. Pulled the plugs and found equal amounts of water (antifreeze) in 2-4-6-8. No water in the oil. When you turn it over, shoots antifreeze out the plug holes. Boat yard Mechanic says he thinks it's the head gasket. Mechanic who rebuilt the engine says it's probably the exhaust manifold or the riser/elbow. He said I wouldn't have water in all four pistons if the head gasket blew. Only one maybe two. Besides, gaskets are brand new. Also, had a brand new riser put on at the end of the season. Don't think that's it...
So the question is, Headgasket or manifold or... something else? :confused:

Last edited:

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: Help! ANTIFREEZE IN 2-4-6-8/HEAD GASKET OR EXHAUST MANIFOLD?

I would disconnect the water supply to that manifold and elbow and start it up for about 10 seconds at a time to dry it out. That will show you it is not the headgasket. I agree with the riser gasket theory. If you check the drain plug on the port and starboard riser you might find out one is full and one empty. Do this first.

Aquasportdad

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I'm learning alot from you guys.
Unfortunately, took off the exhaust manifold/riser to get a pressure test. But, as I said, the Mechanic that first looked at it said "headgasket". I remained suspicious that it was the manifold leaking. Can I test the Manifold/Riser at home myself with a garden hose etc. for leaks or is that not going to give me accurate results? And, can I crank the engine for short bursts without the manifold or freshwater hooked up to see if water pumps into the pistons from a possible "blown headgasket", warped head etc.??

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

Thanks for the info. I'm learning alot from you guys.
Unfortunately, took off the exhaust manifold/riser to get a pressure test. But, as I said, the Mechanic that first looked at it said "headgasket". I remained suspicious that it was the manifold leaking. Can I test the Manifold/Riser at home myself with a garden hose etc. for leaks or is that not going to give me accurate results? And, can I crank the engine for short bursts without the manifold or freshwater hooked up to see if water pumps into the pistons from a possible "blown headgasket", warped head etc.??

oops my game plan was just messed up. I like to drop the manifold back about 1/2 inch and start it. That will dry it out if its the manifold and you can see where the water is coming from. Hate to tell you to start it now. might have a fire. If its a fresh water cooled manifold you can plug one hose and put pressure on the other to test manifold. If riser is still on it you can put water to the discharge place and see if it goes out the exhaust or runs back down into the manidold.

Aquasportdad

Cadet

Thanks. I'll give your suggestion a try tomorrow.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Sounds like you've done this before.
Good Advice.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

I would run a compression test

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

this is to simple.
that manifold has a coolent inlet and an outlet.
simply plug one off and pressurize the other,if it holds move along.
on the cylinder side a leak down test takes less time than a compression test and is way more accurate.

TilliamWe

Banned

Exhaust manifold.

DanielR

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you are getting equal amount of water in all cylinders the chances are it's riser/manifold.
Before I slap elbow on the exhaust manifold, I alway deck them with file to ensure good contact.

I had blown head gasket and water was shooting out of cyl # 8, compression test showed 120psi despite of it having blown gasket. Water was found only in one cylinder.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

ok
quit guessing.
trouble shoot it.
the classic series 5.7 freshwater cooled circulates antifreeze mix from the block through the manifold.
will most likly be at the riser joint block off area.

manifold faileures are incredibly rare.
however incorrect assy of the block off plate and gasket,or the incorrect gasket at reasembly is incredibly common.
to many flying monkeys with tool boxes.
block off one manifold port,apply pressure to the other. if it leaks fix it.
most likly will be at the riser block off area.
compression test is mostly a teat on a boar hog.
do a leak down test,remove the heat exchanger cap BEFORE doing the leak down test.
30 min and your issue is nailed.
doesnt get any easier.

Aquasportdad

Cadet

Thanks for all the good suggestions. Will get to it as soon as Earl moves through. Here in the Northeast we don't get many hurricanes.
Went down to the boat last night to batten down the hatches - and yell at
my port engine (that's the one giving me the headaches).
Got the same response I get when I yell at my kids... A blank stare.
Also, trying to get the lead mechanic at the boatyard to give me a second opinion. Might as well be asking the Queen to come by for tea.
They said he was gonna look at it on Tuesday. Still waitin'.
Anything worth doing is worth doing yourself.
?Improvise, Modify, Adapt, Overcome?