suspected fuel pump problems with Mercruiser 4.3 liter MPI Alpha Stern Drive

jbrittmartin

Recruit
i'm a noob here so please forgive my noobness.

i have a 2005 San Pan 2500RE triple pontoon boat with a Mercruiser 4.3 liter MPI Alpha Stern Drive with approximately 140 hours on her. the spark plugs were replaced when i had her winterized last fall.

the engine model #: 4-24106LT T
the engine serial #: OW328141

backstory:

-she ran great out the gate this season. towards the end of the first tank of gas (which was left in her all winter... very bad, i know, i know) the engine stopped starting.
-i treated the tank with Yamalube Fuel Stabilizer and Ring Free Additive and added more gas.
-the engine eventually started and ran through that half tank and another whole tank treated with Sta-Bil. i did notice some performance issues... occasional sputtering and some hinderance at the top end of the throttle... just wasn't hitting the higher RPMs like it used to.
-a couple weeks ago my brother in law took the boat out with an extremely low fuel level. he did not check the fuel gauge and ran it out of gas. the engine hasn't started since, though turnover is fine. i assume all kinds of crud was sucked into the system.

-my father poured some gas into the chamber below the plastic air filter cover. the engine would start, but would stop as soon as that gas was consumed. the line running to that chamber was bone dry.
-i replaced the fuel filter. i also accessed the top of the fuel tank and removed the supply line that drops into the tank. the line and screen filter on the end were both blockage free. i removed the main supply line from the tank to the fuel filter. it was also blockage free.

my local dealer is backed up for several months. the engine compartment is VERY cramped... it's hard to even see the fuel pump, much less get to it. i'm am not a mechanic by any means but i'd like to try anything else i can short of pulling the engine and replacing the fuel pump.

-is there a relay or fuse for the fuel pump that might be blown? if so, where would these be?
-should i be hearing the pump activate when i turn the key?
-should i remove the metal lines running from the filter to the pump and check for blockage?
-could the pump be locked up somehow or would it just be completely shot if that is the problem?
-are there any other troubleshooting steps i could take?

any advice is greatly appreciated...sorry for the novel.

cheers.

jbrittmartin

Recruit
Re: suspected fuel pump problems with Mercruiser 4.3 liter MPI Alpha Stern Drive

bump before bed.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: suspected fuel pump problems with Mercruiser 4.3 liter MPI Alpha Stern Drive

You should here the fuel pump turn as the engine is turning over not just when you turn the key. There is a fuse to the fuel pump (15 amp I believe) That may be your issue.

The problem is that you state in your own words:

i'm am not a mechanic by any means

But this is what you need to do.You need to find a wiring diagram and find a multimeter and start checking for power at the pump,at the relay. If you have power present, then remove the pump and have it checked. You should by no means have to pull the engine to replace the pump...

jbrittmartin

Recruit

You should here the fuel pump turn as the engine is turning over not just when you turn the key. There is a fuse to the fuel pump (15 amp I believe) That may be your issue.

The problem is that you state in your own words:

But this is what you need to do.You need to find a wiring diagram and find a multimeter and start checking for power at the pump,at the relay. If you have power present, then remove the pump and have it checked. You should by no means have to pull the engine to replace the pump...

thank you for your advice.

but the problem is that my engine won't start and my dealer mechanic is unavailable at the moment.... not that i'm not a mechanic. i'm adept with tools and have some experience working on boats and things... i'm just not an expert on Mercruisers... hence why i asked my questions here.

i will try and find the fuse and check that.
the way the engine is crammed in i really don't see how one could get the fuel pump out without pulling the engine... the San Pan boat design is flawed in this way IMO. any advice on how to best get it out would be helpful.

would the wiring diagram for the fuel pump be located in the Manual #36 i've been reading about?