Overheating

Birstall

Recruit
I have a 5.7L Mercruiser motor with an Alpha One stern drive on my 1992 Maxum 2300 scr.

Three years ago, I had a mechanic replace all the risers.

After that the boat would overheat at random times, whether it was on a plane, idling or at slow speed, it would run for an hour then suddenly start.

I asked the mechanic to look at it and he replaced the stern dive impeller.

I took the boat out again and it still did the same thing. The mechanic told me it was probably corrosive debris that was blocking the water ports in the system and to use the boat more often. The way I cleared the problem was to rev the engine until the temperature dropped. Of course all this time the alarm was sounding; not only inconvenient, dangerous in traffic but embarrassing.

My wife refused to go on the boat and having spent all that money, nearly $2500, I walked away from the the thing and there it's sat for 3 years.

I want to get rid of it but I can't sell it with this problem so I wonder if anyone has any suggestions.

Also is it possible to convert the motor to an inboard method of cooling since I am no longer physically capable of jumping on my float to put the "ears" on the drive. It's on a lift, not trailered.

Thanks

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: Overheating

Did you change the thermostat? If that is not it, I can say that you might have a blockage in your passages.

Grice7

Cadet
Re: Overheating

I also am interested in an inboard method of cooling, I hope someone knows something.