1989 Force starter engages and clicks

boater74

Recruit
I have a 1989 85 hp force, every now and then the starter will engage the flywheel but just makes a rapid clicking noise. I have a feeling that it may be due to not enough cranking amps but im not sure.
Does anyone know how many cold cranking amps this motor should use? Or what else may cause this problem?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1989 Force starter engages and clicks

Ahoy, boater.

Welcome to iboats. :)

You have classical symptoms of a corrosion block in the current path for the starter.

Remove and clean both ends of both battery cables. While they are off, check both cables for weak or swollen spots.

You are lucky. Though this is one of the most common and least understood troubles it is also one of the quickest and least expensive to fix.

Good luck. :)

mrdibs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like lack of juice, but it could also be the starter. The brushes etc are on the bottom, so over time all the crap from normal wear (and rain) settles down there and freezes up the brushes. If you remove the cap and the brushes don't pop up easily, replace the cap ($30). I just bought mine and needed to do it, then found a receipt showing the previous owner did it only a few years ago.

boater74

Recruit

Thank you both. The cables are all new and I have cleaned the terminals as I myself though this was the problem, I will try the cap next thanks.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You need a regular battery with at least 450CCA. Deep cycles will work but arent designed for this.Get the battery tested.Like the others said check your connections and then look in the starter.
They are real easy to replace the brushes.You can get the kits here or on e-bay.
If you still have a problem try a compression test.J

MostlyHrmlss

Seaman

Make sure the negative battery cable is securely and cleanly connected at the block. I hooked mine to the cowling once, it didn't crank well. Also, check the starter mounts for grime: it's how the starter gets its ground from the block.

emoney

Commander

Make sure those connections are tight, and are you absolutely sure your
battery is fully charged?

boater74

Recruit

I have now checked every connection possible as well as the brushes and compression. Everything checks out but I still have the problem, even pulled the plugs out and attempted to turn it over and still had the problem. Im thinking it must be something internal in the starter. And thanks again everyone for your help so far.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Hook jumper cables direct to the starter and see what happens.J