2001 Evinrude 5hp 4-stroke cooling problem

RadarRick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for reading this. I'm grateful for any advice.

This is a kicker on a 20' aluminum boat that I recently purchased. This has been used extensively in salt water. It has a few issues (e.g., deformed swivel bracket), but the one I'm focusing on now is the cooling. I noticed that there is no water coming from the tell tale.

I have removed the lower leg and replaced the impeller, housing, grommet, etc with a water pump kit. With the leg off, I've fitted a plastic hose to the bottom of the copper tube. When I run water up the tube, there is still no water coming from the tell tale. (the water does discharge through the open leg housing as well as through the vent at the lower aft end of the motor (upper leg?).

I've run weedeater line up the copper tube as well as into the tell tale, using an electric drill to give a roto-rooter effect. Still no discharge from tell tale.

I removed the thermostat and cleaned out plenty of grit. With the stat out, I back-flushed by running water into the lower copper tube. There was more crud that came out through the stat housing, with abundant water flow.

I reinstalled thermostat but still no water from tell tale and, when I put water under pressure into the tell tale, it doesn't discharge anywhere.

So that's where I'm at now - wondering what to try next. I could dismantle the head and clean passages from there, but I'm hoping that there's a way to resolve this without having to remove the head.

I see that there is a pressure relief valve somewhere on this engine. I thought that might be an access point, but I can't find it. It's showing on the parts diagram, but perhaps it is internal.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2001 Evinrude 5hp 4-stroke cooling problem

Did u run a wire in the telltale fitting on the block...since u say u had lots of crud it may be blocked....I wonder if the water passages in the block are also...you may have a blockage inside

Al

RadarRick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Al,

Let me make sure I that I get your point.

Where the tell tale tube enters the block, there is a fitting that is attached to the block with 2 screws.

Unfortunately, only one screw is accessible, the other is visible but not accessible. I believe that I'd have to remove the power head to access that second screw.

There is a second tube from that fitting - it runs back and enters the base of the intake assembly. Could this be another place to clear the obstruction?

RadarRick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Progress report:
The tell-tale tube attaches to the accelerator pump at the bottom of the carburetor. A second tube is attached to the other end of this pump and goes to the bottom of the intake.
I detached the second hose from the intake and attached my garden hose to the bottom copper tube in the lower leg. Now there is very good water flow out of this point in the intake. (I hope that I'm explaining this clearly)
The problem seems to lie in the accelerator pump - water is not flowing through it and then through the tell tale.
This may be a dumb question, but what does the accelerator pump do, and why does it need water flow? If it's now preventing water flow, is it faulty?

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

I myself do not know what it is either....never worked on a 4 stroke...but maybe post to see what it is....

can u get a piece of the string from a weed wacker in the outlet to see if its clear...

Al

RadarRick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm just trying to clear it. I'm using a very small drill bit (with my fingers) and I'm pulling out this whitish grey powdery gunk (salt?) I'll keep working away & will post results. I'll try posting the accelerator pump question
thanks

RadarRick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Success! Now have good water flow through tell tale.

The problem was the accelerator pump - it was jammed with salt/crud. It has a passageway passing straight through it (about 2" long). I worked it through with a small drill bit, wire, & water. Took about 2 hours

I'm still not sure of the function of this pump. It must be helping with the fuel flow through the carb. The pumping part is likely still seized up, but I'll see how she runs when I get everything back together.

Thanks, Al

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

if ur using it in salt alot....make a habit to flush it after...to prevent builr up...you may want to get the manual on the engine and go thru it this winter....clean it out..the pump first

glad it working

Al