Tilt Help PLEASE - 89 Force L-Drive

mrdibs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Tilt motor goes up fine, but does not go down. When I bought he boat a few weeks ago, the reservoir was empty. Added fluid, then up and down both worked. Down stopped working a day later. Switched relays, no change. To lower the outdrive, I have to loosen the hydraulic line and step on the outdrive. Can I bypass stuff to make sure the motor is good? Bench test maybe? Manual is very unclear on the whole tilt system. Don't think it could be pressure locked after I loosened lines, but maybe I'm missing something. Replaced the floor, tuned the motor, ready to test it out but this is stopping me!

mrdibs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Tilt Help PLEASE - 89 Force L-Drive

No one? Ok I'll go experiment and try not to kill the dog with flying debris. But if anyone could offer assistance I would be grateful.

RRitt

Captain

hot wire the motor to eliminate bad wiring or questionable relays.

tommythekid

Recruit

have you checked the connector where the relay snaps into? to verify the wiring is tight in there and make proper contact with all terminals? its happened to me before.

mrdibs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How can I bench test the motor? Wiring seems to test ok, but I'm probably missing something. Weird part was when there was no fluid only up worked. Added too much fluid and both work. Then only up worked. Almost like a sensor tripped.