1959 Johnson Seahorse 35hp Cooling problems

ryanroping

Recruit
I have a 1959 Johnson seahorse 35hp that I bought earlier this summer. I am having trouble getting it to pump water and cool the engine. I changed the impeller and blow an air hose up throw the copper tube and there seams to be no blockages. I put it in a test barrel and made sure the water level was high enough. I have checked the intake and seams to be clear. When I start the motor I am getting a lot of air coming out of the pee hole but no water. I have checked the copper line several times to make sure that they are in line. I don?t know what to try next?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1959 Johnson Seahorse 35hp Cooling problems

Have you checked the thermostat? You don't have a tell-tale on your engine, just an exhaust port.

ryanroping

Recruit

Where is the thermostat and how do I know if it?s bad. Even if it has a bad thermostat shouldn?t there be some water coming out of the exhaust?

ryanroping

Recruit

I removed the cover where the thermostat should have been but somebody has already removed the thermostat. I used an air hose and blew directly under the engine block and the air came out the exhaust just fine.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Is the water level in the barrel just below the exhaust port on the exhaust housing?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Stupid question, but do you have the correct impeller? There were two 35s available in the late 1950s and if you ended up with the wrong impeller, it won't work in the housing on your '59. They're the same diameter, but different height.

ryanroping

Recruit

The impeller was changed earlier this summer and worked fine. I has some trouble with the clutch dog and the ignition and have been doing allot of repairs the total motor and put it all back together an that?s when it I could not get the water to pump. So the impeller should be the right size.

I have the water level about 3-4? below the exhaust port. In the past I have worked on the motor and used the same barrel and had the water at the same level and it has done just fine.