Tohatsu M40D2Z plug cap broken

380voltz

Seaman
One of my spark plug caps is cracked and broken.
my question is ...
`is the ignition cable on tohatsu outboards screw on and off so i cld replace only the cable and cap? ... or do i have to replace the whole coil/cable/cap assembly?`
anyone familiar with this pls?
if i need to replace is there a good cheap source of tohatsu parts online that ships international pls?

thx in advance ;)

380voltz

Seaman
Re: Tohatsu M40D2Z plug cap broken

Yes, you can change just the plug cap. Any dealer can ship internationally if he wants to. What is your location? You may have a local dealer and not know it. See http://www.tohatsu.com/dealersearch/index.html for a list of dealers.

yes we do have a dealer here actually. he is very unhelpful with anything. its a poorly run family business. the whole island dislikes him immensely. i mean this guy wont even tell what a part costs on the phone :eek:, so one has to drive there because its company policy.:confused:
no no id rather deal with a someone professional.
its a shame really but i cant change it.

In anycase i have a tohatsu part shopping list and need a service manual, and looking for a decent international supplier ;)

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Any auto parts store can supply you with a boot.

380voltz

Seaman

Any auto parts store can supply you with a boot.

Hi Elvin, yes this was my first logical option. I been to the local NGK importer here (a simple petrol station :D, but extremely nice and helpful ppl). He does have a solution and a variety of caps, however he asked me if the caps and cable screw off on my unit, so as to not damage the coil/cable/cap assembly for nothing.
do they screw off or must we simply cut the cable ?

I do hv experience with overhauling car engines .... but im new to owning an outboard engine, so i better ask the learned and people who see tohatsus everyday

thx

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

If I remember correctly, the hard plastic boot pops off rather than unscrews. Regardless, in your situation, expediency rather than factory spec would govern a boot replacement.

380voltz

Seaman

got the cap.got it off.I noticed that it had some glue from the factory which is why it was hard to pull off.ill add a film of silicon on the cable sides when i screw the new one in.

cheers mate, very helpful

;);)

Attachments

• IMG_5117.jpg
    IMG_5117.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1