Bennett Trim tabs..where does x-ducer go?

Gromulin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm looking at hydraulic trim tabs. Bennett recommends 24 x 9 as the primary choice, with 18 x 12 as a secondary. With either choice it looks like my speedo pickup and transducer need to move. Where? The 24's would fit, but I can't see how I could get a good mounting location for the transducer. With the 18 x 12, I guess the tabs would go all the way out to the strake and might leave enough room for the speedo / transducer mounted in a little closer to the outdrive...yes?

I could live without the speedo tube if needed, I guess...I always have a handheld GPS, and will eventually get an integrated plotter / fishfinder / GPS.

Hopefully the attached picture is worth 1000 more words. Always be nice to the CADD guys at work...never know when you might need something drawn all purty-like.

Thanks in advance for helpful suggestions.

Attachments

• Transom.jpg
    Transom.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 0

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bennett Trim tabs..where does x-ducer go?

Did Bennett recomend the 18 x 12 tabs for your boat or did you use the sizing chart?

I called Bennett and they said I could use 12 x 12 on my boat. The 12 x 12 are more than enough.

As for the location, I don't see the concern. The tabs mounts 3-4" off the chine. You have plenty of room even if you end up going with a 12 x 18 tab

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Gromulin,

Dingbat is on target with his observations. I would recommend a set of 10" x 12" M120s or Standard 12" x 12" Trim Tabs for your Doral. My choice would be the M120s as they have a few features that make them a bit easier for owner installation.

The M120s have small fins on the edges of the Trim Tabs that capture water pressure that normally escapes and channels it aft to increase lift so it is about equivalent to the 12" x 12" dingbat has on his boat. Plus there will be plenty of room for the transducer and speedo pickup.

They will give great control of your Doral over a broad range of conditions and passenger loading.

I hope this is helpful, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Gromulin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gromulin,

Dingbat is on target with his observations. I would recommend a set of 10" x 12" M120s or Standard 12" x 12" Trim Tabs for your Doral. My choice would be the M120s as they have a few features that make them a bit easier for owner installation.

The M120s have small fins on the edges of the Trim Tabs that capture water pressure that normally escapes and channels it aft to increase lift so it is about equivalent to the 12" x 12" dingbat has on his boat. Plus there will be plenty of room for the transducer and speedo pickup.

They will give great control of your Doral over a broad range of conditions and passenger loading.

I hope this is helpful, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Tom, Thanks for the info. 12 x 12 tabs would be enough for a 23'6" boat with an 8'6" beam? It's almost 4,000 lbs with a tank of gas. How can I get more specific recomendations from Bennett where to mount them, and if needed, where to move the x-ducer / speedo? I've been looking at the EIC packages, but had a couple specific questions...let me know if you are the right person there to talk to.

Thanks!

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

I am indeed the right guy to talk to and would be delighted to answer your questions.

The M120s will be "enough" Trim Tab for your boat, I am sure you will be very pleased with their performance.

As far as specific mounting location on your Doral; is there any chance you can post a photo of the transom (there are so many boats out their it is hard to have specifics on each one). The drawing is great, but I'd like to see a picture so we can checkout swim platform or overhang height, any curvature and the strake layout. Then I can then give you very specific information once I see your boat's transom layout.

Let me know what questions you have about the EIC.

Gromulin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am indeed the right guy to talk to and would be delighted to answer your questions.

The M120s will be "enough" Trim Tab for your boat, I am sure you will be very pleased with their performance.

As far as specific mounting location on your Doral; is there any chance you can post a photo of the transom (there are so many boats out their it is hard to have specifics on each one). The drawing is great, but I'd like to see a picture so we can checkout swim platform or overhang height, any curvature and the strake layout. Then I can then give you very specific information once I see your boat's transom layout.

Let me know what questions you have about the EIC.

Great! I'm heading over to storage tonight and will take a couple pics and either post them or PM them to you.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Very good, I'll be standing by. . .

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm sure Tom will get you straight, but I'll add my $.02 anyway.

If you're putting tabs on a well mannered boat to give you a better ride and more flexibility you can get away with the smallest recommended tab. If you're trying to fix an attitude problem or a boat that rides out of trim you might want to consider the largest tab that is recommended or that will fit on the boat.

I went with the next size up tab when I bought a few years ago (M80 was recommended size, I went with M120's on my 19'6" boat) and there are times when I need all of the tab I can deploy, but it's always just enough. I can't remember a time when I thought I needed more tab.

Bennett makes a great product. I'm sure you'll be happy.

Gromulin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm sure Tom will get you straight, but I'll add my $.02 anyway.

If you're putting tabs on a well mannered boat to give you a better ride and more flexibility you can get away with the smallest recommended tab. If you're trying to fix an attitude problem or a boat that rides out of trim you might want to consider the largest tab that is recommended or that will fit on the boat.

I went with the next size up tab when I bought a few years ago (M80 was recommended size, I went with M120's on my 19'6" boat) and there are times when I need all of the tab I can deploy, but it's always just enough. I can't remember a time when I thought I needed more tab.

Bennett makes a great product. I'm sure you'll be happy.

I'm just looking to get flatter sooner, at lower speeds. I'll be towing kids around learning to wakeboard and on tubes...that's really the only reason I'm looking for them. She runs great otherwise.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Jim,

I just sent you a PM with my home e-mail. You can send the rest of the photos there and I will take a look at them today.

Tom
Bennett Marine