Transom Repair 1988 Hurricane Fundeck

surveyorbob

Recruit
I need advise. I've read a lot of good stuff about transom repairs on this forum. Most deal with wood of some sort. My great 1988 Hurricane had been taking on a little water since i bought it 6 years ago, just bielged it out and kept on going. Last weenkend I noticed more water than usual. Looked when we returned home and found the fiberglass transom slightly cracked on the inside at the mounting bolts, the wetwell drain hole sleeves were cracked and the trim piece on top of the transom was loose and the seal broken. I dug around the inside a little and dug out what thought was wood that had turned to putty. Tonight I was completely surprised to find out that this putty was actually some type of foam rubber or simlar subtance. It's all over the boat. There is about 1" of fiberglass on the outside of the transom about 1" of this stuff in the middle and maybe a half inch of fiberglas on the inside. This foam stuff has gotten wet and turned to dust or putty when wet. This looks like a much easier fix than replacing wood and other material. Am I wrong? The fiberglass can be repaired fairly easy. It looks like that stuff just needs to be dug out and replaced with something? No chainsaws, wood chiels or cutting away a section of the fiberglass I hope. Anybody got any ideas for me? PS 2 repair folks I talked to today qouted $2500+ to fix the wooden-fiberglass transom but neither new about this foam stuff inside. Thanks for any help. Bob

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Transom Repair 1988 Hurricane Fundeck

Never heard of a foam transom. Some pics would really help. Sounds like a good candiate for SeaCast or Nidabond once you get whatever it is dug out.