Restriction Found-Thanks! Primer Ball Flat when engine at high RPM

marc.the.shark

Recruit
Update : Found the restriction in the check valve coming out of the tank. Replaced the fitting and now have good flow - thanks for the advice.

marc

I am nursing back a 1989 Johnson 88 SPL that has not run in several years. I put on a new primer ball and hose assembly from the tank to the engine. I have a hard time pumping the ball. When I squeeze it, it does not return back, and it never really gets hard. Engine does not run good at idle, but runs good at high RPM - 1500 + When running, the primer ball is flat. Does this sound normal, or is the new hose assembly no good, or ???

Last edited:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Primer Ball Flat when engine at high RPM - is this normal

No the primer bulb should not suck flat. Make sure you have the primer bulb installed in the proper direction, there should be an arrow showing fuel flow on the primer bulb.
Check the vent on the fuel tank or for restricted fuel lines. Are you running on a built in tank or a 6 gal tank?

marc.the.shark

Recruit

It's a built in tank. Vent appears to be clear. Ran for a while with the filler cap open - so I know there was plenty of venting, and no improvement.

I tried to remove the tank and clean, but it cannot be removed from the boat and it is very hard to get to.

Guess I'll just have to keep checking all the lines, and cleaning out the tank the best I can to get good fuel flow.

marc

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

some of the cheap hose assemblies like the Attwoods..are very poor.....i had one took it back...got the OMC one...way better quality.....the Attwood was like yours squeeze it and it would not return..and the arrows were right..just the bulb so so stiff....the OMC one is nice...pumps like a blood pressure reader...lol....springs right back

Al

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Before you tear your boat apart, borrow a 6 gal tank and run your engine to make sure the problem is from the engine connector to the tank.

GaryO

Seaman Apprentice

If it's a built in tank it should have a foot valve and screen on the bottom of the pickup line in the tank. It might have crud on it or stuck in the valve. There "should" be some way to get to it, most likely through the fuel sender opening. You'd have to fish the tube up with a coat hanger to inspect it. Had that problem with a Glastron years ago.

petryshyn

Commander

Could be a partially plugged anti-siphon valve in the outlet of the tank. To prove this, tee in a vacuum gauge between the ball and the tank. If the vacuum is lower than 2-3 in HG, you have a restriction...

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Restriction somewhere. Hard bit is finding it.

115johnson78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would check anti siphon valve, and replace all the fuel line.

Those cheap fuel line kits.......are cheap for a reason.

I had the same problem with the same cheapo fuel line kit.

I went to the auto stoe and bought me some good fuel line and then bought a good prime ball, and don't have anymore problems.

good luck.:D

mrhaney

Cadet

i posted this one other place,so as to not sound like a broke record.be sure to check each and every 10 cent "o" ring , you tend to over look the most simple. i found my fuel prob after buying all new tanks ,hose etc. at the fuel pump-filter on the motor with a slight tear in the %#.?/; 10 cent "o"ring .good luck

marc.the.shark

Recruit
Re: Restriction Found-Thanks! Primer Ball Flat when engine at high RPM - is this norm

Re: Restriction Found-Thanks! Primer Ball Flat when engine at high RPM - is this norm

Update: Found the restriction in the check valve coming out of the tank. Very hard to access, remove, and replace as the tank is buried under the upper deck, but once the new fitting was in place I have great fuel flow.

Thanks for the advice.

marc