New guy needs help.

Antique Iron

Recruit
Hello everyone and thanks in advance for any help and advice. I'm a bit of a forum junkyand have found alot of useful info on several different forums. I am confident this one will be no different.
I am a landlover and really have no desire for open waters but me wife is half fish and would love to own a boat. Being an auto tech and quite versed in several mechanical systems its obvious who to me who will be in charge of opperation and maintainace of any craft we aquire.
A freind I work with has a boat he is willing to sell to me. Its not exactlly what the wife would like but maybe a nice starter to get my feet wet. I'm looking at a 1976 26ft cuddy with trailer. Manufactured by Reinell and powered by 188hp merc. I've looked over the hull and deck. I may be knew to boats but I aint no dumby so i will have a freind much more versed in watercraft to assist me in this endever. The floor is solid and the interior is clean and in good condition. The mans son-in-law was caring for it and died unexpectedly and winterizing was neglected last year. My first order of buisness is to replace softplugs and check engine integrity. As for the outdrive, that will be all up to my freind. I'm trying to do my research before I buy. Any help, advise , or assistence would be greatly appreciated.

Recap,
1976 Reinell 26ft cuddy
188hp Merc
full cover
trailer included
$2000

Our plans for this boat is a rec/fishing boat.My plans are possible resto.

Other questions,
this is a long narrow boat 7.5? wide didn't measure. How do they handle/drive? Are these good boats? haven't been able to find much info on these old boat but I just started looking.

OK im done!:D

Bondo

Staff member
Re: New guy needs help.

and powered by 188hp merc.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.....
You'll be Happier if you go with Chevy power,... Parts for Fords are gettin' hard to find....

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Post pics and you will get plenty of opinions!

erikgreen

Captain

Post pics, but I will say that seems high unless the boat is in absolutely perfect condition (I haven't seen one yet that is).

Erik

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm sure it would handle pretty well in rough waters etc. That is a lot of heavy boat for just that power, growing up my dad had a 26 footer and it had twin volvo sixes in it. Got along pretty well and would pull skiers but was never a tower of power by any means. That is a big heavy boat once loaded with passengers, gear, fuel, etc. I would agree that unless everything is in awesome shape and running perfect that number seems a bit high, but it is worth what you are willing to pay for it really.

Antique Iron

Recruit

Ok thanks for the help so far. Im sorry im more of a leark and learn addict the a post and pic pro. I ve taken several pics and was able to fill an album in my profile. not sure how to get them here.

Got official measurements. 26ft nose to prop but only 24 ft nose to transom. It is 7.5ft wide(good guess). CB, ship to shore and eagle finder go with it.

On close look, I found small cracks in the hull on both side at about the same place. Possibly damaged during loading? its about 3ft back just below the waterline.

Is this trailer too small? There is a little overhang in the rear. Im in NW Ohio and the wife likes big water so an hour drive to Lake Erie would be the norm.

Oh and Bond-O i agree. I prefer bowties on land so im sure id prefer them on water as well.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.....
You'll be Happier if you go with Chevy power,... Parts for Fords are gettin' hard to find....

Post pics, but I will say that seems high unless the boat is in absolutely perfect condition (I haven't seen one yet that is).

Erik

hi....welcome to iboats....

read these two again. they are well respected here.

to post pics....(we need them to help you). up load to photobucket then resixe to 480 x640

drewpster

Commander

Broken record here. A boat that age is going to have some problems unless it was garage kept and very well cared for. Given that the trailer is already a question I recommend you low ball the offer if you want the boat. Avoid boat fever and don?t buy someone else's problems.

Antique Iron

Recruit

Update

After receiving feedback on this forum i decided not to buy the 76 reinell. I've had a lot to do lately so I haven't tried to post pics or catch up on my forum reading. The funny thing is, the owner of the boat came up to me yesterday and offered it to me for $1500. I told my wife and to my amazment she gave him a low ball counter of $1200. (just wonder if she's taking advice from drewpster without me knowing) He said he would think about it. I have a fealing might have me bringing a boat home before long.