Help with holley 4bbl post rebuild!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nonninator

Cadet
I have searched already...just puttin it out there...I have a volvo penta 5.7 (chevy) carbed motor, prior to rebuilding the carb I was only running on 2 primary barrels, so I assumed bad secondary pump daiphragm, so I rebuilt the carb. Simple. Now I put carb back on and she won't start. I've fiddled with idle screws and all...there arent any needle screws on the secondary metering plate are there? if so there's my prob cuz I don't have any. I put everything back together and went to crank her up...she started, choke is set right on the money, then she ran real rough for 3 sec. then died and the aft 2 barrels(secondaries) were closed of course and there was fuel dripping in them but they were full of fuel and the primaries were seaping vapor...WTF...what causes this? what should I try? Its def. something with the carb...please help me I've been messing with it for hours upon hours..thank you...also for idle mix screws I've read that 1 1/4 turn on each side is a good starting point...should I adjust them until smooth running or what?

nonninator

Cadet
Re: Help with holley 4bbl post rebuild!

I was told to attract Holley experts I should start a new thread with Holley help in the title...sorry if I caussed any confusion...btw.. Its a 4 barrel holley don't remember if I mentioned it before..list #R80159...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Help with holley 4bbl post rebuild!

All you have to do is edit the title of your original post, otherwise it gets really confusing when you have 2 threads on the same subject.
Just use the edit button it the bottom right of your original post to edit the title.
It would also be a very good idea to post the MODEL NUMBER, or at least the year of the boat so people have some idea of vintage. Volvo has been using the 5.7 Chevy for 40 years, and they all aren't the same.
I am going to close this thead so you can keep the one with the most replies alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.