Yamaha Corrosion

brielly

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm hoping you guys can help me decide whether or not to scrap the engine on my new boat. Its an 85 yamaha 225 with the typical corrosion issues. If the compression test is bad then its gone but if its ok then the choice gets tougher. The lower unit has a pretty big crack which after lots of research Ive found is pretty typical and can be welded, jb welded or just left alone. The steering tube (if that what its called) not the tilt tube is corroded pretty badly as well. See the pics and let me know what you all think. Is she a keeper or a scrapper?

Attachments

• sportsman 004.jpg
    sportsman 004.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 0
  • sportsman 007.jpg
    sportsman 007.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
  • sportsman 009.jpg
    sportsman 009.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 0

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha Corrosion

Sorry to say that it looks like something that was dredged up from the deep and not worth fooling with. But that is just my opinion

robert graham

Admiral

That's the worst case of corrosion I've seen and the crack in the lower unit doesn't look repairable to me since it crosses the seal area. May you can sell it just as a "parts motor". Motor looks like it was submerged in salt water?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

maybe 15 cents a pound.
check the shift shaft also.

brielly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The power head is actually in good shape and it runs well so hopefully someone can use it for parts. I got the boat cheap enough to where I wasn't too worried if the engine was good or not. At this point I'm going to opt for a newer motor.

rib4charter

Cadet

The question you should ask yourself is if your are out on the water and a storm is starting to roll in, do you want to trust your life to that engine. I think you made the right decision.

robert graham

Admiral

If the power head is O.K. and it runs then you might find a used lower unit to bolt on and be alright for a while, but that corrosion is really bad. Probably a good parts motor. That motor has been abused!