1986 2.3 litre ford gas in oil and outdrive noise help!!

eman69

Recruit
as stated i own a 86 2.3 litre ford in a 86 bluefin sportsman. omc cobra outdrive when running there is a noise coming from the rear sounding like a bad bearing, if i tilt the outdrive just right the noise goes away. what exactly could this be? also im getting gas in the oil. the boat sat for 3 years but started right up. i had this problem when i first bought it but thought i fixed it with a new fuel pump. does it matter if you use a marine feul pump or just go down to an auto parts store and get one for a 2.3 litre ford? Please help me this boat has been a headache since i bought it.

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1986 2.3 litre ford gas in oil and outdrive noise help!!

the automotive pump is not legal and is a potentail safety hazard. read that as fire or explosion hazard. also much more likely to allow gasoline into crankcase. gas gets into oil from leaky pump diaphram or down carb throats. adjustment and/or rebuild of carb will probably take care of problem. noise is most likely u joints or gimball bearing. either requires removal of outdrive at which point both can be inspected and repaired.

eman69

Recruit

thanks akriverrat that is basically what i figured for the outdrive noise after reading some similar posts. as for the gas the carb has been rebuilt and the motor runs fine as no flooding or spittin or sputtering. Where is the best place to get a marine fuel pump? thanks for the help?

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer

i've used boaters world and west marine. because of where i am i mostly use boaters world and order $200 worth at a time for the free shipping. otherwise shipping can double the cost for me.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

akriverrat - Check out www.ebasicpower.com <br />For Con US shipping is free (except for mainfolds to west coast-then there is a small extra fee) for orders over $100 .<br />For shipments to AK they will give you a freight allowance and not charge full bore.<br />Might want to check them out, I have bought a lot of stuff from them and have been well satisfied.

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer

i have that bookmarked. guess i need to look at it closer. thanks. alaska is "continental". part of the north american continent. but the way some suppliers jack up the shipping you would think we are a remote foriegn land. hmmm...