Volvo Penta 270 AQ270 Outdrive Steering Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

kezguy

Cadet
Hi,
Am looking at buying unit with Volvo Penta 270 w/ AQ270 Penta I/O Outdrive. After some trouble starting due to low battery the engine idled fine.

Problem#1:

While sea trialing a high pitch "Squeeling / Squeeking" noise was occuring when the helm was moved left or right to any degree. Move wheel a little, get a little noise, stop turning the wheel, the noise stops, move a lot, get a lot of noise. When the wheel was moved and the noise was made we could see a load being put on power steering pump pully ie. rpms dropped and pulley slowed rotation slightly but noticeable ( guessing this is normal under the load required to moved fluid ). Fluid level in pump normal. Belt wear was normal with no fraying of belt material.
Pressing on belt with block of wood while engine running , and helm stationary (not being turned), also resulted in this noise being made when load was applied to pulley with wooden block.
This noise was created both in idle and while underway. When turning the wheel the boat was very responsive and performance seemingly unaffected. The boat was performed as expected and no resistance was felt in the wheel.

Problem#2:
When in reverse the outdrive was not in "locked" position and would rise up toward surface. I am guessing this is a simple fix? Some lubrication of some sticky locking bar?

Boat has been sitting unused while for sale. Could it be rusty pulleys? Improper belt tension? Lubrication? Any help or opinions as to source of problem would be apprciated.

Thank you,
Karl

robjen1019

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo Penta 270 AQ270 Outdrive Steering Noise

Sounds like powersteering pump is going. You might try some lucus oil to it. The outdrive has a clip that only connects when the drive is in the down position. The 270's can't be trimmed when in motion. The trim is just a lift for trailering. Should be able to adjust the latch to make it work, or may need replacing.

Tommy123$

Recruit
Hello
i have a aq270 outdrive on my boat, my question is do the u joints get damaged if the engine is accidently started in the trailer up position?
ayone know anything about this. Thanks Tome

Status
Not open for further replies.