New to the St. Louis area

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, ive only lived in the St. Louis area for a little bit of time. Was wondering where the good spots to boat are? I know there is the Ozarks, but thats a haul for a little bit of boating. Ive also heard of Alton having some decent places too, but im not sure actually where they are. Let me know where you guys boat at.

Insteada

Seaman Apprentice
Re: New to the St. Louis area

On the Mississippi river. You should go check out Riverbills.com for some ideas of places you can launch from, the waterfront restaurants, marinas, etc. Lot's going on.

There are also folks on here that trailer to various lakes that are close besides the Lake of the Ozarks.

You're in O'fallon so you might want to become comfy with Cope Marine as a resource.

Welcome to the Lou!

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah i can almost spit on Cope from my house. Im right off exit 14 on 64! I went down and seen them at the "great guy expo" at GCS ballpark on sunday. PRICEY on their boats but nice... Well maybe i should just say TOO rich for my blood.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

I havent been to Carlyle in a LONG time. Def. over a decade... Almost forgot about it.

semo549

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm also from O'Fallon, I second the river, nothing like having a place to boat 20 minutes away! I'm out there every weekend. We have a boat in a slip at Lake Center Marina and I occasionally trailor my old Sea Ray out to a ramp in St. Peters

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm also from O'Fallon, I second the river, nothing like having a place to boat 20 minutes away! I'm out there every weekend. We have a boat in a slip at Lake Center Marina and I occasionally trailor my old Sea Ray out to a ramp in St. Peters
Yeah, i know the river is close. But where is a good ramp at? And what are you floating in the big muddy? I never really see many boats out there...

rednecktech00

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Definitely do Lake Carlyle. Lake Shelbyville is probably less than 2 hours to your east. Well worth the trip. Shelbyville has lots of coves you can hang out and swim with privacy. Mark Twain is about 3 hours to your north and west. Nice lake and more relaxed than many. Then there is Wapapello (sp). About 2 hours south of St. Louis in beautiful hill country. An hour to your south and east is Rend Lake. It is huge and beautiful. Lake Springfield is about an hour north of you. It is nice.

The rivers are a little rough for me and my 18 footer. I know lots of people enjoy the rivers. If you are new to river boating, go up to Hardin, Illinois. Hardin is on the Illinois River 20 miles north of where the Illinois meets the Mississippi. The Illinois is a lot calmer than the Mississipi and Missouri. If you are new to river boating, Hardin is a good place to get wet. From Hardin, you can .get to the bigger rivers to the south. The Illinois River is beautiful in the Fall when the leaves are changing.

You actually live in a perfect place for boating. I usually just watch the weather and let that determine where I go. The weather can vary a lot in the 2 hour radius of where you are.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah i knew there was a few places around here. Ive heard of Rend recently. Also ive heard of Mark Twain, as i know thats close to LOTO. And the drive to LOTO alone stinks and the water is disgusting and the people can be annoying. Yes im new to river boating, so hopefully ill get out to enjoy some here soon. Thanks guys. Let me know of any other places that you can think of. I appreciate it greatly.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Yeah i knew there was a few places around here. Ive heard of Rend recently. Also ive heard of Mark Twain, as i know thats close to LOTO. And the drive to LOTO alone stinks and the water is disgusting and the people can be annoying. Yes im new to river boating, so hopefully ill get out to enjoy some here soon. Thanks guys. Let me know of any other places that you can think of. I appreciate it greatly.
I understand the drive would be a pain, but some of us are pretty nice folk.:D

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry, didnt mean to offend anyone. My parents have a house up there on the lake along with their boat. Neighbors are great, people around the area are great (its near coconuts and richard noggins's leg). Its just the ignorant people at the party coves that really shouldnt be on the water that im pointing the finger at. I mean it can even get a bit dangerous even swimming off the dock with some of those people....

rednecktech00

Petty Officer 3rd Class

LOTO is nice. And there are lots of good folks there. Mark Twain is possibly as far as LOTO but northwest instead of southwest of you. The drive is not nearly as difficult. The lake is much calmer.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer

I'm south of st louis in the arnold/imperial area.. Closest is Carlyle, it's crowded on a summer weekend but great this time of year.. Next is Rend, never as crowded, but a little farther drive.. Both are shallow lakes. Kinkaid is a nice deep lake, although a little smaller. The Mississippi is decent around the alton and grafton areas, just have a good depth finder and stay between the channel markers. I like clean water, and my dad lives on lake norfork, so we spend as much time down there as possible.