Throttle Issues

speterson1011

Seaman
Ok so today I was cruising on my boat on my lake. going 3/4 speed. All the sudden when I went to slow down the throttle wouldnt do anything. I would move the shifter down like I would to slow down but it wouldnt do anything. So I turned the key off. The engine revvs up if I try and turn it on in neutral. I cant get it to not keep revving up. I checked the linkage in a lot of places on the engine. Not sure what to look for up by the throttle but I'm going to try taking the remote throttle apart tomorrow. Any suggestions or opinions on what can be wrong? Thanks for any help all information is welcome

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Throttle Issues

what motor? what control? can you move the throttle handle? if you cannot move the handle, it is not unusual, for a gear tooth to break and jamb the control.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Depending on the setup, you may have broken a cable or pulled it loose from its casing guide.

Take the cover off the engine and watch what is happening when someone moves the control arm on your remote control.

speterson1011

Seaman

Ok so I messed with it some more. The remote throttle feels loose unike it did before. I got it to where I can start the motor and idles regularly. I can put it into forward and neutral but when i click it into reverse nothing happends. Would a bad cable make the remote throttle seem loose? I can put it in reverse manually and neutral and forward. So im thinking its the cables. Well more of hoping. Any opinions?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Ok so I messed with it some more. The remote throttle feels loose unike it did before. I got it to where I can start the motor and idles regularly. I can put it into forward and neutral but when i click it into reverse nothing happends. Would a bad cable make the remote throttle seem loose? I can put it in reverse manually and neutral and forward. So im thinking its the cables. Well more of hoping. Any opinions?

I think that you have all that you are going to get until you tell us what kind of golf cart you are working on.

speterson1011

Seaman

Its the 2000 johnson 90 hp two stroke. Pretty positive its the throttle cable. I messed around with remote throttle and its all good. Putting the cable in tonight thanks everyone