1982 60hp Starting issue

Fordguy

Recruit
Having some starting issues with my 60hp. I just rebuilt the powerhead this past winter. Took it out a couple of times already this summer and it ran like a dream, but it sat for a couple of weeks and now it won't run. It will try to start but only runs for maybe 10 seconds or so. I have found if I advance the timing it will run a couple of seconds longer. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1982 60hp Starting issue

put your timing where it should be. check battery cable connections. spark and compression. is you choke solenoid working? did you use the advance throttle lever on control box?
90% of starting problems is the Human, starting the motor.

read this: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=225510

Fordguy

Recruit

Checked everything and got it to run for about a minute or so. It is smoking when it runs and smells like it's running rich. Pull the plugs after it runs and they are coming out wet. Is there a way to adjust the carbs? I thought they are fixed orfices from what I have read.(type IV carbs)

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Your carbs do not have any adjustments on them, fixed orifices. Might check and see if the one of the carbs is flooding fuel, maybe a float stuck and is allowing excess fuel into the engine.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Also, check for water in your fuel. LOTS of issues this summer with water as the ethanol is attacting moisture from the air... Try pulling the carb drains and see what comes out.

Fordguy

Recruit

Ok finally figured out the problem. The coils are bad and giving me all the problems. Thanks to everyone that gave me ideas.