76 Reinell Resto UNDERWAY~!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shallowgrave

Cadet
Hey folks, long time and just realized i could register and post. Looking into this boat listed as a 76 Reinell 19 footer. I saw it today and i liked the look of it. Its a closed bow, straight six engine, volvo penta 280 outdrive that will need some floor work and engine work. Looks like it would be fun to tear into. Owner wants $500 bucks for it and the trailer, Im just wondering if its worth the risk. Transom feels solid and it sure didnt look like a 76 when i saw it. But this is my first boat and im just looking for something to play with I guess. Can you even find parts for these anymore? What do you all think?

3n53m83l75V05W15X4a8tf1588d4b10541b69.jpg

3n23m63l75V35Y65O2a8t56c7fff68c6c1a5b.jpg

3md3p53l65O35U45P4a8tfde927ff1e751085.jpg

3mc3p93lf5W35X05R1a8tfc555d91a4d01324.jpg

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Opinions on a project..

$500 Wow is that at gunpoint!!!

Welcome to iboats.

Yes that is a great deal even if the boat is junk since the trailer alone is worth that........ not to mention the parts if you parted it out.

It has a very desirable I/O with a great reputation.

excotec

Cadet

Why cant I find a deal like that around here

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

BUY IT .... the outdrive should be worth that. looks like a nice boat ... good score

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

NEBRASKA ???? you have water out there ?? i thought you guys only had corn ... lol welcome to iboats

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Now,

Where exactly is this located? I am just trying to get a handle, so I can visualize....!!!!!!!!

Yes, buy it, if not now, then Yesterday...this is not one to turn down for that price...

Yikes!

:eek:

shallowgrave

Cadet

Ok, well heres the question how do i get ahold of a manual or something for this boat? My other question is what other engines can this take? If i cant rebuild the straight six thats in there can i use the 355 i have in my garage? Obviously im new, and muscle cars and trucks have always been my deal.

howlnmad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You need someone to pick that up for ya? Anytime I find something like that I always get the "Sorry, I sold it ten minutes ago."
As for the engine, I think that's a GM 250 base motor. Shouldn't be a problem as long as the head and/block aren't cracked. That 355, that a 350 bored .030 over? That'd be a lot work and a lot of cash to convert.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I saw that on craigslist as well. I thought about buying it for the sterndrive as i need a new one for mine but have enough boats laying around already. Sounds like a good deal especially around our part of the country.

erikgreen

Captain

I looked at that boat and thought "Hey, that looks just like my Sea Ray used to look". I have an 81 SRV210.

For that boat and drive it's a good deal. The volvo penta outdrive can be given new gears for any engine ratio and can take the horsepower from the bigger engine.

For a new engine you'd need new mounts, some different attachment hardware, and you'd be changing the center of gravity for the boat, but if you don't mind rebalancing and the money involved, you could do it.

As-is it's in nice condition... I'd clean it up and run it as-is myself :)

Erik

shallowgrave

Cadet

I already have the 355 sitting in my garage, was meant for a 69 c10 i got rid of, and mounts i wouldnt think would be too hard, but i didnt know id have to re gear the outdrive and re balance the boat. Anyone have any references on how to do something like that? Also, so in theory could a boat handle that power? I understand the drive can but, i guess i am asking what i forgot or didnt know to take into account, I just assume i could swap almost anything in and go like my old trucks?

shallowgrave

Cadet

Ok so, I bought it and parked it tonight and im pretty happy, honestly the floor is 80% there, just a few spots were the glass and the ply are gone shouldnt take to much to patch up. The motor appears to be leaking oil at the front seal, but i planned on pulling anyway and it will need new seats it looks like. But otherwise Im pretty pleased. Ill try and post small projects and updates and continue to seek the expertise I know i have seen here. BTW, if anyone know where to find literature about a 1976 Reinell RV1901R Please let me know!!!

erikgreen

Captain

I already have the 355 sitting in my garage, was meant for a 69 c10 i got rid of, and mounts i wouldnt think would be too hard, but i didnt know id have to re gear the outdrive and re balance the boat. Anyone have any references on how to do something like that? Also, so in theory could a boat handle that power? I understand the drive can but, i guess i am asking what i forgot or didnt know to take into account, I just assume i could swap almost anything in and go like my old trucks?

You can, but as you mention you may exceed the power rating for the boat. The coast guard formula for that is basically lengthXwidth for smaller boats but for a 19 footer it will depend on the height of the transom and whether you have power steering. Horsepower up to the max for the drive (in the 300-400 hp range) wouldn't be insane for a boat that size, but you will pay for the privilege in insurance costs.

Plus if you upgrade the engine for reasons other than "it's broken" then get in an accident that'll count against you... the other lawyer will argue your hopped-up boat is a speed demon, etc.

FYI, boat performance depends far more on torque than overall HP or rpm, so your 355 won't significantly outperform a regular stock 350, even if you add on accessories that would increase HP in a truck or car. There's a noticeable difference between 305 and 350 power, but the next step that you "feel" is a 454.

Re-gearing the outdrive is needed because A) Boats don't have transmissions and B) Your prop is sized largely based on torque. The fixed gearing on the drive is designed to transform the engine torque into the minimum needed to get moving while preserving the largest RPM range posssible. For most engines in the four cylinder range the drive is at about a 1.3:1 ratio, for a V-8 it'll be about 1.5:1. If you don't re-gear you lose much of the advantage of the bigger engine, and worse you may be outside the "good" performance envelope for the prop, resulting in stuff like not being able to get on plane in a reasonable amount of time.

To rebalance the boat is simple. Build the boat out according to your plan, then put it in the water. At the dock, note whether it floats on its lines (evenly in the water) or is stern or forward heavy. Move weight forward or back (in significant amounts) to balance it. Ideally you should do this with math before you build it, since you may not be able to move enough weight around to make the difference you need.

If you have specific questions about the drive, gearing, and what you need to do, I'd post them in the Sterndrives section here, and keep your main project thread in the restoration section.

Keep posting and good luck,
Erik

erikgreen

Captain

One more thing - don't count your chickens before they hatch.

It's pretty standard to find used boats with "one or two soft spots" in the deck and think you just need to fix those.

The problem is, boats rot from the bottom up. If the deck is soft, the odds are good the under decks are waterlogged and you need to check the stringers, transom, and other structure before you decide what to repair.

It's important for safety and long term usability of the boat, but maybe more important to you is performance :) If you don't get any and all water and rot out, you could be carrying as much as an extra ton of weight in water below decks :)

That'll slow you down quite a bit...

Erik

shallowgrave

Cadet

I just found out what you meant, just pulled all the seats and crap and looked at the floor. Ill be honest I dont know much of what im looking at. If i posted some pictures tomorrow of the floor hopefully someone can help me make sense of it, there looks to have been previous attempts at fixing the floor. the original looks like what is still covered in glass, but there are sections that werent glassed. As far as stringers, i dont know what im looking for or how to expose them. I read probe drill then set a skil saw to that depth and remove the floor. i gues that may be were to start. Hipefully someone will help me outline were to go from here. I am super excited about tearing into this, just dont want to go too fast and ruin the boat.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

post pics and we can help....its a good deal cash wize. you scored....the boat can be fixed and sold or fixed and run or just parted out......what ever...you win.

shallowgrave

Cadet

Took a look at the floor this morning and realized that there is a wiring harness that obviously drops right next to the battery box. Looks like all the wiring was labeled at one time, but no longer. Any chances of anyone haveing wiring diagrams for these things for sale?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Sad to say........ but there is no specific wiring diagram for boats however, there are generic ones in the electrical section AND you will also need a manual for the motor to get that wiring diagram.

LOL myself and the SCCAvette guy both wired our boats with just one color wire :eek: because of the same reasons...... you NEED to use marine graded tinned wire and buying a big roll is the cheapest.

Best advice...... get a small multi-meter and trace the wires.

Any signs of green corrosion are a no no and cause problems.

When I was in the Army I remember tiny metal clips on wires with number's which helped for labes since we camo painted everything........ all our wires were sand, brown, black or green :D

shallowgrave

Cadet

with you on that fortunately there arent many and they seem to mostly run the guage cluster, yay more car stuff i understand.

got in th boat tonight and started unscrewing trim and consoles and seat, bagged and tagged all the parts and screws (though i think ill end up replacing most anyway) and just started to learn the boat at this point. Here are some shots of the floor, most of tonight will be spent reading about boat construction so i know what the heck all this stuff im looking at is, maybe ill learn what a stringer is so i know it if i see it!!

Port Side/ Stern
IMG_2289.jpg

Starboard Side/Stern
IMG_2290.jpg

Center
IMG_2291.jpg

Under the Dash
IMG_2292.jpg

Helm
IMG_2293.jpg

Starboard
IMG_2294.jpg

shallowgrave

Cadet

Port
IMG_2295.jpg

Overall (Shot from my bedroom window)
IMG_2299.jpg

Chicken counting is gone, time for a totally new floor it looks like. Now off to learn what the heck to do!! Pointers accepted (except junk the boat, I just can't do that the wife would kill me, really its true)

Status
Not open for further replies.