Atlantic crossing with single cylinder powerboat?

surfkart

Cadet
I have a powerboat I designed and built 10 years ago. 31ft, 9'10" beam, single cylinder diesel 10hp. Have a crew with me of 2. Oh, and on a side note, do you think I'll need a visa?

Who am I and do I make it? Check back :rolleyes:

And-Con

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Atlantic crossing with single cylinder powerboat?

Lets see; most likely a lister type diesel, so that will not break, sipping fuel at say a quart an hour(ball park but seems like a fair guestimate). 31 feet isn't much for living, especially with the large areas used for necessary fuel reserves.I would say 4-5 knots, assuming good weather. Plus the areas needed for food/water, or do you have a water maker. Very packed boat. the odds are stacking against you. I didn't quite understand whether you had a total crew of 2 or 3, but seeing the need for overnight watches, very stressful. Why bother. Being surrounded by nothing but water for days(weeks) on end is not particularly fun.I don't know the quality of the boat you built, no offense. So, in summary, the boat, if properly provisioned will make it. The crew on the other hand will most likely leave the boat hoping to never see each other, or the boat again. Have fun, and regardless of what i typed, i am jealous.

surfkart

Cadet

It's a bit of trivia. You do make me wonder now how they did get along on this trip though. :(:mad::(

In 1939, the first power crossing of the Atlantic from east to west was made in a 31-foot motorboat named Ekero. Eckero was not designed for the voyage, nor specially fitted, nor was her crew trying to prove anything.

Eckero's owner was Uno Eckblom and he lived on the Aland Islands in the Baltic. In 1939 he decided to visit the United States, but for some reason he couldn't get a visa-and no visa, no steamship ticket. Not one to let such a detail upset his plans, Eckblom decided to go anyway, in the motorboat Eckero which he had designed and built for himself 10 years previously. She was 31 feet long with a beam of 9 feet 10 inches and had a single-cylinder diesel of 10 horsepower-like thousands of fishing vessels in the Baltic.

Eckblom got together a crew of two friends, gave the diesel a factory overhaul, fitted a small steadying rig, and away they went on May 3, 1939. She crossed in 39 days.

Sometimes I wonder how many historical feats might not have ever happened if there had been forums to caution them? It's enough to have your friends and family think you're crazy.

slag

Chief Petty Officer

Pretty amazing. I sometimes wonder if my 4 cylinder boat will get across the small lake I hang out on.

proaudioguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Been considering at some point in the future taking the little 20 footer to the Bahamas. Crazy? I mean it's only about 55 miles. I think I might like to have a kicker engine rather than just a trolling motor for a back up though. Proper float plan registered, one hell of a ditch bag (auto inflatable raft?) and I don't see it being a huge issue. I figure in good weather we could leave in daylight and be there in daylight. I can't imagine spending the night in open water with no place to even anchor.