Shear pin...what shear pin?

WriterCJ

Seaman Apprentice
Moving away from the mooring today at around 4KT on a lowish tide when the motor hit something on the bottom. Jumped a bit, then carried on running fine. I stopped, checked the prop... a bit of damage to the outside of the blades but nothing too drastic.

I mentioned this to my father-in-law, and he said that I should carry some spare shear pins with me in case it happens again and the pin snaps. This sounds like a great idea.

So I checked the BRP online catalogue for my engine (E20ELCEM 1989) and couldn't for the life of me find the shear pin.

Where exactly is the shear pin in relation to the prop? What size and material do I need for my engine, or where can I find out?

Plan to move the mooring a bit deeper when I get chance... in the meantime will avoid low tide, and will look at getting a new prop at the end of the season.

Cheers,

Calvin!

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Shear pin...what shear pin?

No there is no shear pin!

The prop has a rubber hub which is splined onto the prop shaft.

jgriner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the rubber hub is disigend to break loose from the prop, causing what is know as a spun hub.
I think its designed to allow for low speed manuvering, but would cause shaft to free spin at high speed. Kinda like allowing you to craw back, instead of busting out the paddle..

i guess you would need to carry a spare prop, sher pins are used in older outboards w/out thro prop exhaust

WriterCJ

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys -- that explains why I couldn't find it.

I'll get my current prop fixed up, and will order a new one for next season. Seemed to run fine even with the damaged blades today, no discernable extra vibration in the engine or steering, and no change in boat handling.

Thanks again for clearing that up.

Cheers,

Calvin!