Trailer Axle Help

pwostrel

Cadet
Hello all just got a 1985 24 foot Cobalt the boat fits the twin axle EZload trailer nice, but there is negative hitch weight! I was told by my boat guy to move the Axles back! is this something I want to do with the boat on the trailer? It does not seem like a good idea or am I wrong on this, my theory would be to put the boat in the Water then move the Axles back, but if it can be done on the trailer it saves a step. Any help would be great.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trailer Axle Help

Either way you need to jack up the trailer. Why take the boat off. Hitch up the trailer to the tow vehicle. Jack up one side and block it. Then the other. The wheels are now off the ground. Move the axles back. But certainly look at this carefully to be certain they are actually movable.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Hello all just got a 1985 24 foot Cobalt the boat fits the twin axle EZload trailer nice, but there is negative hitch weight! I was told by my boat guy to move the Axles back! is this something I want to do with the boat on the trailer? It does not seem like a good idea or am I wrong on this, my theory would be to put the boat in the Water then move the Axles back, but if it can be done on the trailer it saves a step. Any help would be great.

How are the axles attached to the trailer? Bolts through holes? U bolts?

I moved the axles on my trailer (for my previous boat) with the boat on the trailer. Piece of cake. They fastened with U bolts.

With the trailer attached to the tow vehicle for stability, I blocked the wheels on one side, jacked the other side up, loosened the U bolts, and slid that side of each axle to where I thought it should go. It won't move far because the other end is still bolted. I tightened the U bolts and then did the other side.

It's very important that the axles be perpendicular to the trailer frame. I cut a piece of 2X4" limber as a spacer between the axle and a frame crossmember, held it in place and used a mallet to get the axle tight against the spacer, then tightened the bolts. Then repeated on the other side. A shorter spacer was cut for the distance between the two axles.

When you get done, you should have about 7% of the total weight on the hitch ball of the tow vehicle so you might have to move the axles more than once.

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer

Is there any way to move your boat further onto the trailer? I'd look at that as well. Moving your boat trailer winch and bow stop forward would be a lot easier than moving both axles.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Is there any way to move your boat further onto the trailer? I'd look at that as well. Moving your boat trailer winch and bow stop forward would be a lot easier than moving both axles.

It's most important to have the boat properly supported on the trailer. As a rule, the end of the bunks or the rear roller should be directly under the transom. If the boat is further back, there's no support for the transom. If it's further forward, the excess bunk or rollers can make it harder to launch and retrieve and there is less support of the boat at the forward end.

So - position the boat properly on the trailer, then adjust the axles (if necessary) for the proper tongue weight.