I think my float is sticking, how do I check?

jaman_24

Recruit
I have a 1973 70hp evinrude and I think I have a stuck float. It won't turn over and when I squeeze my priming bubble fuel just keeps going in. How do I check my floats?

Craig-

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: I think my float is sticking, how do I check?

Requires removing carburetor bowls. If motor has had gas in it sitting up a long while, most likely a varnish problem, clean or rebuild.

Rick.

Captain

By "turn over" I have to assume you mean it won't start. If in fact it won't crank the motor then it is not your carb. You will have to pull the carb. to check your float/seat/needle for proper operation. I can almost guarantee you will require a carb. kit so I would get that ordered so you have it on hand. Then you can clean it, kit it and re-install it in one go. Best of luck. Rick.

jaman_24

Recruit

The motor cranks it just won't start. I can squeeze the priming bubble and fuel just keeps going in. Is it a difficult thing to check and see if the float is stuck?

lindy46

Captain

Is gas running out the throat of the carb? It's got to be going somewhere. If the float was stuck down, you should see gas pouring out.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

is there enough gas in the tank?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Before you start tearing into things to clean the carb etc be certain that the priming bulb is Ok.
A defective valve in that might give the impression that you are pumping fuel when you are not.

Also I find no 70hp listed for 1973. if you post the model number we can check that out.