LMS-522C iGPS experience

proaudioguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been offered a LMS-522C iGPS for $350. I've been eye balling the HDS5 for about a week. We are working slowly but surely to get this boat dependable and seaworthy and it seems "staying off the bottom" is the single most important issue with "not getting lost" a close second. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this unit for that purpose.

Fishing is closer to the bottom of the list, but it is definitely something we want to do in the future. My dad has several grand invested in fishing gear which my kids and I will make good use of. If we can figure out a way to get dad out on the boat, then he could enjoy it too.

As I said seeing the bottom and knowing where we are at any given time is number one. The areas we like to go can get extremely shallow very quickly, and we are so new, we still have that smell. I have managed to stay off bottom most of the time, but I'm nervous about it all the time.

I really like the HDS unit from what I can tell, but I thought this LMS-522C might be a good deal and almost as good for less than half the money. It comes with the navionics SD card and a hummingbird portable VHF radio too. I've known the previous owner (but lost touch) for about 36 years. He takes good care of his stuff.

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: LMS-522C iGPS experience

i have this unit on my bow.

IMO, it is slow to lock in on your position. Also, I'm having issues with tracking bottom in the shallow. It'll work fine for a while, then all of a sudden, it cant track bottom. A few mins later, it will work fine again.

My transducer is mounted on my trolling motor. When I pull it out of the water and plunk it back in the water. It takes several minutes for the unit to establish bottom.