Merc 60 pumping air blowing bubbles

Dexta

Seaman
As subject says, I have a Merc 60. Six horse twin '61 + - ser# 1433859.

Changed out the impeller and still can't get it to pump water out the pee hole. In fact it's blowing air, most likely exhaust out the hole and down at the lower unit seam. Did I miss something putting it back together? Is there an exhaust gasket required at the attachment of the lower unit or is something blown up on top.

Your help would be appreciated. In addition would anyone know where I could get parts needed for this?

Dexta

Seaman
Re: Merc 60 pumping air blowing bubbles

Oh woe is me. Everybody must've gone boating but me. I tried doing some searches about my problem and found that it might be in the exhaust cover plate area. Can anyone confirm this? Is there also a seal down at the lower unit juncture?

Ron

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

Good Luck

Al

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

Al

Edit sorry wrong forum for me'

Dexta

Seaman

Hey, I'm happy for any reply.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've had a problem with a small outboard like that before and all it turned out to be was my test tank wasn't deep enough and wouldn't allow it the volume of water it needed to pump. I doubt just changing the impeller would cause your exhaust seals to go out. Hope that helps.

Dexta

Seaman

Hey, thanks for the reply, hard to come by on this site. Looking again at my setup it may be a tad low on the water side. I'll give it a try.

Ron

Dexta

Seaman

Winged Wheel, you did it. I'm so glad I didn't break down that exhaust plate. Brought the water level up to where it should be and it seems to be pumping great now.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Glad my past frustrations can help out someone else.

Dexta

Seaman

Guess that's why some of us are here, it's great to be to be an armchair mechanic, share your knowledge and expeience with others and guide them toward sucess. And best of all... you don't get your hands dirty!

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh I still get my hands plenty dirty, This is where I take a break when I can.