150 johnson ocean runner issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurman

Recruit
I have a 1994 Johnson 150 hp Ocean Runner motor that I got used.

The issue I am having with it is it often floods itself when first started. Or if it starts it will run for about 2-3 minutes then die, just like someone shut off the switch, then after a little turning of the motor and choking it - it will go again. Once it runs for 5 minutes all it takes is a touch of the key without choking and it fires up all day long.

The other issue I have and I am not sure if they are related that is why I am posting both of them.

While running down the lake the motor will cut out, again almost like someone is shutting off the keys then turning it back on. Sometimes it will run fine for 1/2 the day, then the other half it will cut out like that, sometimes it is so bad that it will just kill the motor while running full throttle across the lake. Motor will die, I hit the key it fires right back up and off we go again. Sometimes while doing this it will start cutting out bad. There doesnt seem to be a rythm to when it does it. Like I stated sometimes it will run hard all the way across the lake and not miss a beat.

Any ideas I sure would welcome

Thanks

mike 224

Recruit
Re: 150 johnson ocean runner issue

I have the same going on with my 1996 and had 3 different boat shops look at it and no luck. any ideas would be nice. mike

SparkieBoat

Captain

wow 3 boat shops cant figure it out??? that is crazy...I have that exact same motor..very easy to work on and diagnose. spark, fuel, compression, timing...easy to figure out whats up with the proper tools..CDI electronics has a great troubleshooting guide for the electronic part

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1994 Johnson 150 hp Ocean Runner motor that I got used.

The issue I am having with it is it often floods itself when first started. Or if it starts it will run for about 2-3 minutes then die, just like someone shut off the switch, then after a little turning of the motor and choking it - it will go again. Once it runs for 5 minutes all it takes is a touch of the key without choking and it fires up all day long.

The other issue I have and I am not sure if they are related that is why I am posting both of them.

While running down the lake the motor will cut out, again almost like someone is shutting off the keys then turning it back on. Sometimes it will run fine for 1/2 the day, then the other half it will cut out like that, sometimes it is so bad that it will just kill the motor while running full throttle across the lake. Motor will die, I hit the key it fires right back up and off we go again. Sometimes while doing this it will start cutting out bad. There doesnt seem to be a rythm to when it does it. Like I stated sometimes it will run hard all the way across the lake and not miss a beat.

Any ideas I sure would welcome

Thanks

I would look at the engine harness for a bad wire especially the black/yellow kill wire. I had a 100% brand new Johnson/Evinrude engine harness that lasted 6 hrs before it fried that wire inside the red boot plug. You can try this, cut the black wire with the yellow stripe in it that leads from the big red plug and fire it up of course in the water and take it for a run and see what happens..You will need to touch the cut end leading from the red plug to a ground (engine block) to turn the motor off with the ignition switch. If it doesn't die with this cut then look for any chaffed wires or change your engine harness.

Jayrock

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check the Powerpack ground wire. Make sure the contact is clean and tight. This is assuming that your Vacuum switch works and you are not getting a fuel restriction alarm. Might be a good idea to make sure that the Vacuum switch is operational. ( If you have one) if it is not operational, REPLACE IT. A way to test the Vacuum switch is to disconnect the fuel line that feeds it, and hook a Vacuum Hand pump up to it. Turn the key on, engine off and pump slowly until the switch makes the check engine light illuminate. The warning horn will not sound unless the engine is actually running. The light should come on between 5-7". if it does not come on, unplug the connector from the Vacuum switch and jump the terminals with a short jumper wire. The light should come on. If it still does not light up, you have other issues. I personally would not run the motor hard until I was absolutely sure that the cutting out is not a fuel issue. You will do serious harm if you don't make certain of this.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I would look at the date of the original post. Hijacking is frowned upon here.

Status
Not open for further replies.