Warped/Damaged F'glass Help...

AaronJ

Cadet
Hi Gang,

I am about to get moving on my project and have the first technical hurdle.

There are two areas of warping in the Fiberglas hull. Both are significant enough that they will likely reduce the end result (visually and maybe performance). Especially once painted gloss white.

However I am not sure how to tackle them.

The first is some warping on the upper side of the port side. Its like two concave depressions either side of a convex lump. there are two screw holes on the lump that appear to have had something mounted on the inside. possibly something that spanned across the boat to the starboard side (i.e. pushing outwards):

Fibreglasswarping1.jpg

The second is also on the port side, underside of the hull between the bow and mid-hull. This one looks like and impact from the inside of the hull (would have to have been a pretty significant impact which has me puzzled). There was an internal support there (now removed and how I discovered there was a glass patch over it), where at some stage the hull had pulled away from the support and the gap glassed over (see second pic showing areas of glass patch and where hull/support had separated).

Fibreglasswarping2.jpg

Fiberglasswapring3.jpg

So my big Q is... how do I deal with these?

Cheers,

AJ

AaronJ

Cadet
Re: Warped/Damaged F'glass Help...

For reference here is the whole hull:

Ebay1mod.jpg

Ebay2mod.jpg

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Since in the pics it appears both are out of water at speed, neither will have any effect on performance.

As long as those areas are structurally sound, you can either do nothing, or fill them to conform with the correct shape.

AaronJ

Cadet

Thanks for the reply.

The second is on the hull and well within the water line and both will be visually unpleasing once the she is repainted.

Filling is not an option as both are externally raised.

So I guess my question is more about how do the repair versus if I should.

Any other thoughts?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

From the pic it was hard to tell if they went in or out.

The one on the bow will only be in the water at rest.

If you really want them flat, you can try to heat the area and force it back into shape with boards, clamps, jacks, bolts, or just about anything you find that works.

The other option is to cut those sections out and reglass them.