What tool to adjust Rochester Mix

NHGuy

Captain
What tool to adjust Rochester 4 bbl Mix jets. They don't have a typical shape. They have 2 opposed flat sides that are a little longer than the other 2 slightly curved sides and they are sort of rectangular. I can turn the port adjuster with a pair of bent mini needle nose pliers but found that a flexible 1/4" drive extension reaches right in there nicely. Is there a special socket or something I can cobble up in my shop?
I bet there is some easy way that has not occurred to me.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant
Re: What tool to adjust Rochester Mix

Think they put those in to keep people from adjusting? LOL. Have you tried looking at the part store? I think they sell em there

sea flower

Seaman Apprentice

Take brake tubing and shape it with a ball peen hammer. Those are the jets for you to adjust your idle only nothing else.

Adirondack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Most good parts stores will have the adjusting tool. It's just a shaped socket on a flexible shaft. fits right in there.

Aloysius

Chief Petty Officer

I've used a rod out of a Kwikset doorlock for decades.

floattest

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You won't believe what I did for the exact same situation. I took a 1/2 inch X 3 inch lag bolt. Ground a little flat on the end, drilled a pilot into it about 1/4 inch that was the same as the distance across the flats. Then used a dremel to open the ends up until it fit. It's just the right length to get in and reach both screws around the thermostat housing and such. I was very surprised that these screws were't standard hex size.

bigdan1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ther is a tool ( cheap ) for this : flexible too
when you have it ,start with 3.5 turns on each , and fiddle them till idle is smooth
try to keep both screws almost equally turned out ....

sry8631

Cadet

I bought a carb adjusting tool with different sockets from Autozone early this spring to adjust my rochester with the same type of screws. Has red handle, one socket was close but not exacted size. It had enough bite on the screw to adjust them. Paid about 8 dollars.