1990 force 120 dies out when put into gear forward

skiesdalimit

Recruit
good day to all i'm new to iboats as well as to boating just bought a used 1990 bayliner capri with a 1990 force 120hp l drive make a long story as short as possible ran good when first put into water ran strong while pullin kiddies on raft then died out wouldnt restart had to tow back to dock{darn}
firgured it eventually needed some work so started with new plugs ,still wouldn't start ,previous owner came over to help got it to start had a bad ground connection. he ran it on neutral gave it gas started good sound strong
also changed prop for me
Took it out into the lake today and started good engine sound good but when put into gear forward it justkept dying almost as if not getting gas primer bulb ok but still starts ok then dies when put it into gear .previous owner said it may need carbs removed cleaned and rebuilt and adjusted any thoughts will be appreciated thanks ... just to add may adjustments to carb air intake screws or adjustment to throttle to give gas to carbs need readjustment???? thanks to all i guess first time experience on the boat not that good

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 force 120 dies out when put into gear forward

Sorry about the problems.You have a tach? What rpm in the water in gear?
You need a manual.Clymer is OK the factory is best.The library might have something that you can use.
#4 and 5 is where you adjust the idle.It should be 750-800 rpm in gear.
The fuel system might need cleaning.RE-set the air screws.1 and 1/8th turn out.J

Attachments

• Force parts.jpg
    Force parts.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 0