Spun hub?coupler? or worst?

1979 85 HP Evinrude had it out on the water last week and would only go about 10 miles and hour it planed out but wouldnt go very fast. I posted about maybe fuel problems well i took the carbs off and took them apart to clean everything. i did not buy a new carb kit yet because im no sure how much further i need to get into the motor or is it just the two flaps? I also been reading that maybe its the hub. i did check the lower unit fluid from the bottom hole with the screw when i lossened it it had pressure and squirted out some on the floor but there was no metal shavings or anything in the fluid. I also put the motor in gear and the prop spun both ways freely not locking in any direction but i also have the carbs off so the cables are freely hanging would that make a difference or do i need to put everything back together and retry the prop spin again? Also i was wondering how do you know the difference between a spun hub and coupler? the rpm gauge does not work so couldnt tell you what it was spinning at wot. This boat was bought with the guy telling me it was lake ready but has become a nightmare

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Spun hub?coupler? or worst?

Outboards do not have couplers like inboard motors. If the motor revs up very high, but the boat barely moves, the prop hub could be spun.

You probably should start from the beginning. Take a compression test on all cylinders. Also see if you have spark on all cylinders. Post results.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Get it back together and see where you are, if you didn't run a wire through the jets the carbs aren't clean and don't forget the main jet in the bottom of the float bowl, it is the culprit in a foul running boat a good deal of the time.

If you spun your hub the engine woudl have run normally but the boat wouldn't go as fast so if the engine sounded off it is probably an engine problem.

Once it is back together mark across the back of the prop adn run the boat if the marks stay aligned it isn't spun.

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

Start at one problem at a time......the prop first so u can run it and see if the carbs will be next....

U say when in gear the prop spins.....take the gear selector on the motor...put in gear...then try to turn the prop....if its turning in gear then look at the prop nut also see if its turning with the prop..if it is you may have lower end problems....

if the prop don't move ...reassemble the cables and adjust...take boat out...if it revs high and not good forward movement then a possible spun hub.,....to test that put a dot on the prop hub and the prop nut with fingernail polish to the align....then take boat for a short run WOT...then rechech dots see if they are still aligned..if not the hub is spun...buy a new prop or get that re hubbed...best to get a new one and the old one fixed as a spare....always good to have a spare prop....

then after u get that squared away....see what the carbs need

Al

I dis check the plugs and they all have spark actually everything is new even the power pack is basically new. The motor ran good sounded normal no sputtering or cutting out or anything. It did sound like the rpm were up normal but the speed wasn't. To do the compression test where can I get that tool at? Or can I get a loaner from like a part store or marina store? I will run a wire through the jets I did spray inside the holes but that's it and the bottom carb was extremely dirty so I can see how they are the problem child. Also will the gas mixture maybe slow it down that much? I am just using what he had in the tanks and that is probably back from april or may? How do I put the motor in gear without the lever to test the prop like that? The boat did come with an extra prop and looks newer than the one that's one it right now.can I just take the cotter pin and castle nut off and the prop slide out and I can try out the other one or is there more to changing them out

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

most car parts stores will loan you a compression tester, or get one at walmart or any tool dealer.

you are correct, cotter pin, castle nut, prop should slide off. put a little trailer axle grease on the shaft when you reinstall it to keep it from freezing up.

There is a "special tool" for removing the jets -- fortunately, you can find directions on how to fabricate one by following the "carb cleaning and rebuilding" link from the "top secret file" at the top of this forum.

you said "...i also have the carbs off so the cables are freely hanging...."

What cables? There are no cables attached to the carburetors.

the throttle cables are what i had loose. They mounted beside the carb and had to take them off.but sounds good ill try that out and see what i come up with.