Damage from crap wrapped around prop?

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer
I was comin back in today after going out on the boat. On the way back in I was idling through the inlet to my dock and I felt a hesitation. It felt like if you were to drag bottom for just a split second. I was only about 1000 ft from my dock.

When I got to the dock I shut the engine off and raised the drive. There was a plastic wrapper to one of those huge 24 roll packs of toilet paper wrapped around the prop. I took it off.

Could this have caused any damage? How do I check to see if anything is broke?

Thanks

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: Damage from crap wrapped around prop?

I dont think you will have any problem from it. If it did not plug your water input about the only thing left is your prop hub. If you notice a new vibration
you might check the hub. Plastic has a lot of give.

LAC_STS

Yea nothing got hot. I think what happened was the drive hit the plastic and what I felt was the plastic get tight around the prop and break the plastic.

Danny Mc

Seaman

I have changed several overheated motors that fell victim to an ice bag wrapped around the drive.

LAC_STS

Luckily I was so close to my dock or I would have probably over heated. I did not because I was very close to my dock.

LAC_STS

Oh yea, I was mainly asking this because I read another thread a while back that someone said that fishing line wrapped around the prop can make the prop shaft seal fail and water get in the drive.