New user, possible boat issue

NOOB2Boats

Cadet
Guys, I just found this forum a day ago so please forgive me for not researching properly. But, yesterday I purchased a 1970 Tidecraft (the body on the title says "VS") but it looks like I would assume a tri-hull. He stated that he "Redid the floor". Upon inspection, lol or lack there of. He had laid new ply wood and had put new fiberglass over the top of it. It looked good, and the rest of the boat looked fine. But, I got it home and went to park it the back yard when I noticed when I tilted the trailer up water started to pour from the back. I lifted it up all the way that I could, and I would say about a gallon to two gallons of water poured out. The previous owner who stated that he bought it from someone about 6 months ago and had never had it in the water due to engine troubles. But I sent him this email this morning:

"Donald,

I just bought the boat from you yesterday. I appreciate the transaction. However when I got it home I tilted the trailor high off the ground and water seemed to drain from the inner hull. I was wondering when you took the flooring out and was replacing it, was the foam soaked or did the stringers look like they needed replaced? Im just curious because I would rather not take the flooring up and look if I dont have to. I bought it as is so if there is an issue its my problem. But i was just curious to the extent of the repair that Im going to have to do.

Thanks for the information "

He replied:

"the stringers are good,and there isn,t much foam in the hull..right where the battery was sitting there,s a small hole that i forgot to plug that's where the water is most likely getting in..when i put the floor in it was dry.i,m pretty sure when all the water is out just plug that small hole that way the water shouldn,t get back in"

So my question for you guys... Should I trust this guy, or rip up the floor and check for myself? And from that.. What the hell do I do next?

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New user, possible boat issue

When in doubt excise! We all like a good restoration thread here! lol I am just kidding. We need to see pictures first and there are some people on here that can give you a good direction to take in how far down you need to take it.

JCNailen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree. Pull it up and have a good look around. - OR - use a small mirror and a flashlight at least.

NOOB2Boats

Cadet

Its been raining here for the past 3 days, so as soon as I can wade out in my yard lol I will get some pics to ya. I got about 4 inches under the boat on the ground now. its pathetic... lol but as soon as it slacks up ill get you guys some. I know at the least if I keep the floor on it I have to refiberglass the floor, the guy did a terrible job with it. But, Im already thinking that I need to at least pull it and put foam in it..... Bu tI guess it is a wait and see game right now

NOOB2Boats

Cadet

Ok here are some pics: The boat is tilted to drain the water completely, and strapped down to keep it from moving (the trailor's supports are not adjusted yet to keep it in place). I left the stuff on the inside (seats, fuel cell, etc.) so sorry it looks like crap but, as soon as it completely quits raining the fun will start.

Boat1.jpg

Boat2.jpg

Here is the drain in the rear of the boat, the water that is coming out of the hole directly across the drain hole see below:

Drain.jpg

Holes.jpg

In other posts that I have read since I have signed up they have spoken about the transon being rotted. So here are a couple of pics of it. Im not sure what the hell that is on the inside of the boat against the transom, but when I felt it, it felt like a larger piece of lumber with a vinly wrap on it.

So guys... What do you think?

OutsideTail.jpg

TailInside.jpg

Kristopher22

Cadet

Hey, looks like it could turn into a great little boat! You can inspect the transom by drilling a few small inspection holes about 3/4 of the way through and filling them afterward. What you are looking for is the condition of the shavings coming off the drill bit. Wet = Rot, Dry = Good..... Make a few small holes in different areas to get a good idea of the entire transom.

Good luck with it, and have fun!

jonesg

Admiral

The transom is rotted to pulp, thats obvious just from the pic.
Cut the deck off, its a total gut job.

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

The transom is rotted to pulp, thats obvious just from the pic.
Cut the deck off, its a total gut job.

I second that. Time to start your own resto thread. The floor he replaced looks like a total hack job.

Lil_Stinker

Cadet

NOOB2Boats

Take a deep breath, count to 10 & start the fun. (fear not, I feel the others here are a great support system)

I too am embarking on my first full gut & restore. The most I ever did before was so minor, it can barely be called repair.

I will be sure to watch your thread & attempt to keep pace.. Good luck & have fun...

NOOB2Boats

Cadet

SON OF A B@#%*!!!!!!!

I was so hoping that it was just a minor screw up.. I appreciate the advice and the heads up..

So wanting to do the right thing and do it correctly, whats my first step?? Because im clueless. 1st boat, 1st repair job..

I do have some experience with fiberglass, I had a yamaha r6 that I custom made all the fairings for. But I have no clue on what to start working on and even how. Please advise.

jonesg

Admiral

LAbel everything and de-rig the engine.
Nice if you have an engine stand. Or lift it and drag it over to a tree and stand it up, maybe tie it around.

Cut the deck off, circular saw, be carefull not to cut thru hull.
Do it in sections.

You have to decide whether to pop the cap
or cut the splashwell off,
you need to get at the rear of the transom wall.

Do some reading in between work on transom repairs.

If the stringers are truly good you have the option of a pourable composite transom. USe Nidacore (nida-pour?)
Like this,
http://www.transomrepair.com/catalog/pages.php?pID=6

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey noob,

First thing I would do is ask myself this question, "How much is this boat worth to me?" If the answer is $1,000 to $2,000 and she'll look like a new one! Then "Git er Dun" cuz with that amount of money an 100 to 150 hours of work you can make it happen. Take a look at this guys thread
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=355668
It will show you pretty much everything you'll need to do.
www.USComposites.com is a good place to get your supplies. Harbor Freight is a good place to get your tools. Home Depot and Lowes for Wood and Don't forget the Beer!!! Rustoleum or Pettit EasyPoxy are two good choices for Paint. Get started and she'll be ready for next year!!!!

I'm just sayin...:D

NOOB2Boats

Cadet

LAbel everything and de-rig the engine.
Nice if you have an engine stand. Or lift it and drag it over to a tree and stand it up, maybe tie it around.

Cut the deck off, circular saw, be carefull not to cut thru hull.
Do it in sections.

You have to decide whether to pop the cap
or cut the splashwell off,
you need to get at the rear of the transom wall.

Do some reading in between work on transom repairs.

If the stringers are truly good you have the option of a pourable composite transom. USe Nidacore (nida-pour?)
Like this,
http://www.transomrepair.com/catalog/pages.php?pID=6

yea Im not so sure that the stringers are going to be good. I mean I only paid $350 for the boat so I went into it knowing that I was going to have to invest to get it up to great. But the pourable transome looks like it would be a bigger pain than just replacing it.. your opinions?

Also, what do you mean pop the cap or cut the splashwell.. I am VERY unformilar with terms and names of the parts of the boat. I know I have to study up to learn to catch up.

jonesg

Admiral

THe hull is usually in 2 parts, the lower hull and the upper cap.
To pop the cap the rubrail is removed and the 2 halves seperated.
The cap usually fits over the hull like a shoebox lid.

Read any of the reno threads, most guys pop the cap off.
The only real decision is if you like the boat, when its finished its sure to be better than new because you can afford to do it better than the factory.

NOOB2Boats

Cadet

THe hull is usually in 2 parts, the lower hull and the upper cap.
To pop the cap the rubrail is removed and the 2 halves seperated.
The cap usually fits over the hull like a shoebox lid.

Read any of the reno threads, most guys pop the cap off.
The only real decision is if you like the boat, when its finished its sure to be better than new because you can afford to do it better than the factory.

Yea I have been reading this thread:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=355668

It has been a major eye opener. I am def thinking about poping the cap off the hull after I cut that one section of plywood that the previous owner put on it. I am 99% sure that the stringers def need replacing along with the foam. So why do I need to decide if I like the boat? I am assuming that because Im going to be putting some time and money into it. I am looking forward to getting started... Its been damn raining for 4 days straight now... tomorrow it should be sunny, and hopefully after work I can get it in the garage and get started.

1st. The engine being taken off.
2nd. cut out the plywood old owner had and inspect the stringers and foam.
3rd. Pop the cap if neccessary.

Then follow the reno threads... Wish me luck and lend me advise that you may have. And as soon as I get it in the garage I will be starting a reno thread.

Lil_Stinker

Cadet

This is your reno thread, why bother starting another?