Is My Outboard Big Enough

OttoBoy

Cadet
Hi can anyone help me ? Ive got a Microplus 500 with a suzuki Dt 25hp outboard on the back i use it for River/Sea fishing.The problem is that it doesnt seem to get up and go like id expect it to ive got it on remote/steering could it be the pitch of the engine in the water im confused ?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: Is My Outboard Big Enough

Don't know the boat but what is the max hp rating for it? How much of a load you carrying?

OttoBoy

Cadet

Hi the engine say 5500rpm max 5000 constant wotever that mean and then load is 2 adults and fishing gear

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

That says nothing about what the Max capacity of the hull is stated. A 25hp may not be big enough.

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, more info on the boat would be helpful. Check the capacity plate on the boat if it has one. It'll give a max hp rating and weight capacities. If you cannot find it, at the very least give the length of the hull, type of hull (aluminum or fiberglass), etc.

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

ok, so i did a quick search for your boat. i'm guessing your boat is 5m (about 16.5ft) and has a cuddy? by the boats I saw, I'd say that 25hp is way to little. May get one person on plane, but two or more with gear...I'd get at least a 40-50hp or at least 75 percent of the boat's hp rating.