What does the "XP" stand for?

Roodski

Cadet
I have a 1991 Evinrude 150 XP. I bought it about 6 years ago. I'm assuming it's a high performance motor, as it came with a safety manual for racing. Just wondering what makes it different from a regular 150. Does it actually have more horsepower or what?

nate1220

Seaman
Re: What does the "XP" stand for?

Well I have a husqvarna chainsaw that is a 350xp and the "xp" stands for extra power maybe e-rude is the same. Just a thought I am sure someone on here will be able to chime in and tell you exactly what it means.

keefallan

Petty Officer 1st Class

i do think it makes more power than a normal. I know for a fact that the carbs are different(the jets are bigger and I think the carbs are 1/16" bigger openings). I think it may be a 175 in disguise wink wink;)

Roodski

Cadet

Thanks for the input fellas,

I was thinking (hoping) it might be a "sleeper 175", (you could be right on the carb thing, Keefallen) and yes, "XP" does sound wayy cooler than the very capable (boring) "EL",

But honestly I have asked around a lot, and no one has been able to give me the true factual answer to this question. This is definitely the place to find out.
They didn't just decide to slap "XP" on some 150's for kicks, there was a reason for it (and likely a nice price too).

Come on experts, you must know the answer to this!

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

150 hp is 150 hp! XP may stand for better parts or a different distribution of power (it'll get to 150 hp quicker) or maybe it stands for a marketing idea that will get more people to buy their motors!

clanton

Rear Admiral

Evinrude was XP, Johnson was GT, bass boat motors. a few different parts. Name changes were made sometime in 91 for the 60 degree engines. I don`t remember the names.

ChrisAG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The 60-degree engines became Intruders, which were the "hopped up" versions like the XP, GT.

Evinrude still does this with their HO models. Supposedly the 115 HO is much closer to 130 hp than 115. They can do this because there is an allowable fudge factor in real vs. stated horsepower.

This all began with the bass boat tournament craze, where time counts - zoom over to the spot where you want to fish, catch, then zoom back. A "hot" engine will get you there quicker and will allow you to stay within specified maximum hp ratings for the boat or tournament category, even though the engine is making slightly more hp than advertised.

Your 150 XP (if in top condition) is probably 165 hp.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The XP/GT designations originally came out on the 150 engines in 1983. Originally designed for bass boaters, all these models put out 10% more than 150 hp. The BIA permitted ratings as long as they were within 10% of the rated hp, so OMC crowded this rating on the top end on these models. An XP/GT engine is identified by the "S" after the model number: 150S - on the serial tag. Typically these engines had 175 carbs jetted down a little, stiffer lower engine mounts, higher compression heads, cowling air vents and special decals. Most of them have the larger 35 amp alternators. The later models like yours have Quickstart, a nice cold-starting feature and the SLOW system for overheats.

Roodski

Cadet

Finally, I've got the answers I've been looking for.
Really a 165 if it's running up to snuff. That sounds great, now I just have to get it up to snuff. I can tell you this, it pushes my 20.5 foot crestliner (alum) at about 45 mph - gps,which aint too shabby. I have almost touched 50 once with a special 25 pitch chop prop, but its really a cargo vessel for me, I rarely drive it over 35 mph.

Thanks a lot folks, much appreciated.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gee, Do you remember the Pontiac GTO. GTO stood for nothing.....The marketing folks thought it sounded cool.....

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

Gee, Do you remember the Pontiac GTO. GTO stood for nothing.....The marketing folks thought it sounded cool.....

Which it does! Ronny and the Daytonas proved it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c-bGVt3Pp8

But it may actually mean something.....
# Gran Turismo Omologato (Italian for 'Grand Touring Homologated' or 'Great Accredited Tourism'), a model name used on several grand tourer automobiles:

* Ferrari 250 GTO
* Ferrari 288 GTO
* Pontiac GTO
* Mitsubishi Galant GTO
* Mitsubishi GTO

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Actually John Delorian designated the GTO and it stood for Grand Touring Option, which was adopted by Delorean, from the 1962 Ferrari GTO which stood for Gran Turismo Omologato, or Approved for Racing.