1983 black max 150hp starting problem

jbonefc3s87

Cadet
My motor is very hard to start, it takes squirting fuel into the carb to get it to fire. my first thought was the choke. but i can hear it "click" not sure if its working or not, and my manual doesn't give me info on how to check it. there were some bad wires here and their, which led me to believe that could be the problem, but i replaced all of them which included a new stator. It runs great once i get it fired up. doesn't try to die or lag. just not sure where to go on this, your help is greatly appreciated!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1983 black max 150hp starting problem

If you can replace a stator, you can find and check the choke. On some models it is an enrichener solenoid, which allows fuel from the top carb to flow into the mid and bottom carb throats. Older models have the choke plates...

Dukedog

Captain

Try this. Yours has tha enrichner......

Trim tha motor ALL tha way in. Push in on tha key and turn ta start at tha same time. It should spit, cough or try ta fire. Release tha key. Raise tha fast idle just a touch. Trim tha motor ta level. Hit tha start without pushing tha key in this time. It should start. DO NOT USE STARTING FLUID in a 2 stroke. If it doesn't start. Repeat. Contary ta popular belief, it takes a lotta gas ta start a cold motor...................

Oh yeah, pump tha bulb up ta hard first thing..............

D

jbonefc3s87

Cadet

when you say "raise the fast idle" im not sure what that means.

Dukedog

Captain

Your control should have a small lever on top OR a button on tha gear shift lever at tha base where it connects to tha box. If its a lever on top it only controls tha throttle. If it has tha button you can depress it and move tha gearshift to control only tha throttle. Depressing tha button disables tha GEARSHIFT part of tha operation..............It may be a TWO handed operation..

jbonefc3s87

Cadet

ah yes, now i know what you are talking about. i will give that a shot in the morning.

jbonefc3s87

Cadet

so i pushed in the lower button on the throttle, to disengage the shift linkage and it fired up when cold. looks like thats how im going to be starting it. i did some tests on the choke and no gas was passing. so looks like even though it "clicks" its not functioning correctly. so i will be finding that part soon i hope. thank you for your help!

section8

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have an 89 black max 135v. there is a small cylinder container on the left side of the top carb with two tubes connecting the top carb. on mine the key choke doesnt open the plates, it lets extra gas out of that cylinder to enrichen the fuel air ratio. thats how this motor "chokes" and is normal and is possibly what you have too. push that key in as you start the first time and till it burbs then dont push the key in on the next with the throttle up a little like the other guy said.