Trim tab anode bolt/screw

bb449

Recruit
motor is '66 Mercury 500 long shaft. My objective is to change the impeller, but it seems I have at least one more bolt to get off before the lower unit is free. There is a hole above the anode to insert a screwdriver etc. and I'm reading where it may be an allen bolt, does anyone know the size? Also is there a shift linkage disconnect or a water line to disconnect. I am trying to save a little money and I've never changed an impeller before. Thanks in advance.

bb449

cannonford57

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trim tab anode bolt/screw

it is an allen...sorry dont know the size....no waterlines to disconnect or anything...you'll see the brass waterline that stays in the ex.housing when ya drop the gearcase...there is a bolt under the trim tab too i think......good luck

bb449

Recruit

thanks cannon will attempt, stay tuned for update. Thanks again.

Moody Blue

Captain

All the Mercs I've owned ('71 80hp (x3) and '92 40hp) used a 12 point bolt (male torx?) that requires a 7/16" 12 point socket to remove. A 3/8" drive socket just fits thru the hole nicely.

Place the motor in neutral and DO NOT play with the shift shaft once the lower unit is removed or your shifter won't work properly when you put it back together.