alpha gen1 and gen2 same inner transome plate?

lawson

Cadet
hi guys i am going to be changing my merc 3.0l 1987 alpha gen1 drive to a new gen2 drive and i was wondering if anyone could advice me if the inner tramsom plate is the same? i have heard conflicting reports some saying they are and some saying they are not...could anyone help....thx

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: alpha gen1 and gen2 same inner transome plate?

everything is different

lawson

Cadet

thx for your input 180shabah...however in the end i have taken the s/r number from my inner transom to a Mercruiser main dealer to see if there was a change to the inner transom plate once the gen 2 came out...he looked up my s/n number up from my gen one inner plate on his parts computer and said that the inner tramsom plate part number on my gen one is the same part number that is still used on the gen 2 today and that all alpha drives have used the same inner transom plate since 1983.. in which year the inner transom,s where changed to accommodate the newer engined 14 inch flywheel engine cover mounts..he also said the changes to the gen 2 where only on the leg and gimball housing and that the changes to the gen 2 gimball houseing does not affect it coupling to a pre gen 2 transom plate as all alpha,s use the same inner plate...so going on that information i should be ok and the engine will not need removing just suspending...thats if hes got his info correct..

180shabah

Rear Admiral

oops, I got a little ahead of myself there, you are correct the INNER plate is identical. Sorry for jumping the gun.