classic 50 carb rebuild, fiber or rubber gasket? or both?

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am rebuilding the carbs on my 86 classic 50. 45 hp merc. carbs are b model with the fuel pump on the carb. the kits i bought are sierra. they came with a rubber and a fiber reinforced reed type gasket for the fuel pump. they are the one way valve gaskets. I installed both of them, rubber against the mating surface and fiber to reinforce that. is that correct? or should i just use one or the other. the carb originally had just the fiber gasket. but it ran like crud. somebody might have been in there before. just want to make sure it is right. diagram in my merc book shows just one gasket? If it is just one, which one? My carbs also do not have a idle jet under the plug, that my book says, is mine just a different model, or what. Thanks.

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: classic 50 carb rebuild, fiber or rubber gasket? or both?

Nobody has an anwer for this? Somebody? just to clarify the fiber gasket I'm talkin about looks like fiberglass reiforced, not the old black fiber cloth gasket material.

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok, its going back together like i installed it. Hope it works. it's kinda pain to get to these carbs.

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class

seems to run fine with both gaskets in the fuel pump. Guess that's gooood enough.

Tim R W

Recruit

I have a good source that says the two are a better set up the fiber helps seal and stregthen the rubber.