Please help with 96 115 HP Merc Reverse

HD Fatboy?

Seaman
Boat has been running great lately. Had it up Lake Erie 2 weeks ago.

Took bout out today, went to back of trailer and it sounded like LU wanted to tear it self apart.

Brought it home and followed steps in manual for re-installing LU. tried forward first but did not know exactly where LU gear shaft should be for forward. I have read all the way CCW, however there is no all the way CCW. It stops but can be turned past that point.

Anyways I choose neutral (did it this way before) Got it reassembled. it passed the test in the yard according to manual. Forward can turn CW resistance when turned CCW,,,,,,Neutral can turn freely either way.....Reverse resistance either way.

Go back to lake put it in reverse, and same thing.

I mention Erie cause I was searching this today and seen you should never trailer in Neutral, I never knew this, always trailered in Neutral, is this what caused the problem? Its about 100 miles

Where do I go from here?

dwco5051

Commander
Re: Please help with 96 115 HP Merc Reverse

I mention Erie cause I was searching this today and seen you should never trailer in Neutral, I never knew this, always trailered in Neutral, is this what caused the problem? Its about 100 miles

Where do I go from here?

I never heard this before. Was there some reason given why you shouldn't trailer in neutral? Maybe they thought the slipstream would spin the prop and burn up the impeller :eek:

HD Fatboy?

Seaman

Yes read that any ways do I need a new LU

dwco5051

Commander

That is a hard one to answer from a distance. It could be as simple as a linkage adjustment or it could be internal problems. This may be a case where it is going to take a hands on check by someone with knowledge. Any reputable shop should be able to give it a check and tell you what your options are.

HD Fatboy?

Seaman

Thanks for the reply. The bad thing is, there are no shops around me. The recession in this area fixed that. I do think I did the correct steps on installing the lower unit, at least acoording to my manual untill I tried to run it the prop did what it was suppose to do in the 3 gears.

HD Fatboy?

Seaman

Anyone else have a thought or suggestion?

HD Fatboy?

Seaman

Posting back to let everyone know that I fixed my problem. Simple as a cable adjustment. If anyone searches this problem I had then the answer may lie there.

dwco5051

Commander

Isn't it nice when a story has a happy ending? Too often a thread ends without an explanation of what finally fixed the problem. Thanks for the info.