Mercruiser Alpha 1 3rd starter in 12 months

westmich

Cadet
1997 Mercruiser Alpha One 135 on Sea Ray 175. 2 starters failed in 12 months, about to install 3rd. Wondering what the deal is. Otherwise fantastic, fun boat.

Coicindental with this: Bilge pump and blower fan stopped working and all of the even number fuses were blown (ignition, blower, bilge pump, accessories). Odd numbers were fine. After replacing fuses I replaced bilge pump and works great. Blower fan still not working. Newer battery. Tapping on starter with hammer makes it crank a bit, assuming starter issue again. Last starter rusted and mechanic said needed to be replaced (after 1 month of use), so I bit the bullet and paid him. If it's the starter again I need to know if there's an underlying (electrical?) issue.

Any toughts? Thanks!

Adirondack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercruiser Alpha 1 3rd starter in 12 months

I gotta ask.... With the bilge pump not working is the starter sitting around under water after a rain storm?

slackor18

Recruit

I am also in the same boat. (situation)
his binge went out and replaced with new one.
My bro replaced the starter used it only twice. it did sit for a year. now it will only click.

Now the starter does not work. i tapped it, it started once. ran it for 20 min. try to start it again and nothing.

im thinking it might be the starter solenoid. but i guess i wont know till monday when the parts place opens to get new parts.

let me know if you find the problem. thanks

westmich

Cadet

I gotta ask.... With the bilge pump not working is the starter sitting around under water after a rain storm?

As a matter of fact....yep. The bilge was pretty full but the boat was running when it was full. After the fuses blew it started after I replaced them. Then a week after storing in the garage it won't start, strongly suspect starter.

Would splashing water from the full bilge be enough to short out the fuses and freeze the starter like that?

ChrisCraftJohnny

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If some water splashes up on the starter a bit, it would be OK.

But if the starter got imersed in water, it's lights out.

Johnny

cpt ron jc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

once you get water around the starter its a matter of time,salt water will turn it white fast,keep it dry,no water is better than alot in that area......

westmich

Cadet

once you get water around the starter its a matter of time,salt water will turn it white fast,keep it dry,no water is better than alot in that area......

We're in fresh water and some probably did splash on it but I don't think it was submerged.

liquidwrench

Cadet

This sounds like my neighbor's experience-high bilgewater took out two new starters about 2 weeks after each had gotten wet-dissassembly showed armature winding full of rust from the steel core plates and swelled up to the point of being stuck to the magnet. A third new starter and a new boat cover have solved the problem.

westmich

Cadet

This sounds like my neighbor's experience-high bilgewater took out two new starters about 2 weeks after each had gotten wet-dissassembly showed armature winding full of rust from the steel core plates and swelled up to the point of being stuck to the magnet. A third new starter and a new boat cover have solved the problem.

We might be the same person--I am changing out the starter tomorrow and just bought a cover. Crossing my fingers.

rickryder

Commander

Might want to check you cables. I have seen over the years that a bad ground cable will kill a new starter quickly.Look for corrosion inside the cable itself. just my 2 cents;)

westmich

Cadet

Might want to check you cables. I have seen over the years that a bad ground cable will kill a new starter quickly.Look for corrosion inside the cable itself. just my 2 cents;)

Thanks, I will do that. The shop took apart the starter while I was watching and the brushers (?) were sticking and there was water still in there.

It hasn't been run in over a month now and does not idle without stalling. Any ideas?

May need a carb rebuild. Ooh, fun.

rickryder

Commander

Might need to clean it out.

rickryder

Commander

Check cleaning the carb out. Clean out the bowl and idle jet and passages.

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

Three problems! Did ya fix the water leak also? Rough idle is covered in the sticky at the begining. Many possible causes.

westmich

Cadet

Three problems! Did ya fix the water leak also? Rough idle is covered in the sticky at the begining. Many possible causes.

The water leak was the entire boat--it had no cover. I got a good cover for it and am fixing up a couple poles for the stern and bow for runoff. I was actually glad to see that the starter had water in it since it makes it less likely to be a systemic electrical issue and more likely that the starter just got too wet and seized up.

It actually stalls out after 5-10 seconds even when I have it revved at what would normally be 2500-3000 RPM and blows a little smoke that it never does ordinarily. This is on muffs, not under load. Stalls out at idle right away. Gas is at about 1/8 tank and the boat has not been run for 6 weeks, so I am going to try a little isopropyl dry gas and see if it is just condensation from humidity and not being run in a while.

Could not see any wires or connections that are bad.

If the dry gas doesn't do it, I will try easiest and cheapest first (fuel filters, fuel line, fuel pump) to carb rebuild kit.

Any other suggestions?