200 Evinrude acceleration problems

d. mcgrady

Recruit
I have a 1989 Evinrude 200XP. The engine starts and idles good. When you put it in gear and try to accelerate, it goes up to about 2000 rpms and don't want to go any farther. Sometimes, if you keep it wide open, it will eventually plane out, then the engine really runs great....lots of power. I have had it to 3 marinas. Have replaced stator, trigger, regulator, wiring harness, power pack, carbs cleaned and rebuilt, compression check....still have the same problem. It acts like it is running out of fuel. I have had the fuel tanks drained and cleaned. I can't fine any obstructions in the fuel line. The marina mechanics just keep replacing parts and this has been extrememly expensive. $3500 later, my motor still won't run right. I am looking for help. They are telling me now to replace the VRO pump. Could this be the problem? When the boat runs so good at WOT, if you can get it on plane. Any help will be greatly appreciated. There are no warning alarms going off.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 200 Evinrude acceleration problems

Ah, the old stand by excuse - "I don't know how to fix your motor so lets throw parts at it. It must be the VRO."

If it were mine I'd have it back to the place that changed the parts and nicely demand they make good on what they have been paid to do. You mentioned they took compression but never said what the compression numbers were. You also never mentioned that they water tested the motor.

Did they ever verify it is indeed running on all 6 under a load?
Is the airbox cover on or off?

d. mcgrady

Recruit

Thanks for the quick reply. The compression numbers were between 100 and 110 on all cylinders. After the electrical things were replaced, they said it was firing on all 6 cylinders. When we finally got the boat to plane out, it was definitely firing on all 6----ran into the 70mph. Tested it both ways, with the air box over the carbs and without it---same thing. Engine at WOT was turning 5300 rpms with 24 pitch prop (when it finally opened up) but when we slowed down, out of 10 tries, only got it back on plane 3 times but they were not consistent.

83ebbtide

Seaman Apprentice

Still kinda sounds like fuel to me. Did they replace the primer bulb or check the fuel pumps. If not the advice I was given was to push in on the key when it is struggling to get on plane and see if it picks up, if so it could be the fuel pump(s). If not check the primer bulb. Does it pump up and stay firm? Try pumping it while it is struggling to get on plane and see if it picks up.

Like I said that was some advice given to me, hope it helps you as well.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Well...something isn't right at all.

First, running with the airbox cover off leans out that motor severly. It'll usually stick a piston if it still has stock jetting. If it's jetted to run with the cover off it'll load up big time with it on.

Second, running a 24 at 5300 rpm has a theoritical speed of about 66. That's with 0% slip which isn't possible.