1988 30hp johnson

ironsetr

Cadet
here is the problem, motor is bogging out when i try to open it up. runs at 3/4 speed fine. changed impeller and it ran fine now it is doing it again. My son took it out, pulled the cover off and it ran fine. put cover back on and it started to do it again but not as bad he said. could the air flow to the carb be restricted or is it something else. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1988 30hp johnson

It is possible there is an air restriction. I've heard of guys actually drilling holes through the cowling and pan to get more air in there (don't do that on just my say so) It sounds like the carb may need a cleaning and re-build. I think it's running rich thereby making a bog down effect.

ironsetr

Cadet

i took carb off and took it to the dealer he said every thing was fine with it it was clean

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

It's possible the impact shook up the fuel tank pick-up tube filter and it may be restricting fuel. As you can see I'm just guessing here but I think you should look for a kinked fuel line or something between the motor and your tank as the mechanic has already inspected the carb.

ironsetr

Cadet

what i don't understand is after i changed the impeller it ran fine there was no fuel obstruction, because it was doing it before i changed the impeller. Once i changed the impeller it ran fine, now it is doing it again.