Merc 115 Electrical Issue

DJ_Weld

Recruit
Today I replaced a faulty bilge pump on my 2003 Alumaweld with a 115 Mercury 4stroke.
I made a big mistake reattaching the battery. I reversed the positive and negative cables and it sparked.
Now...
All of my electrical systems work (lights, fish finder, bilge pimp) except for power to the engine, ignition, and powerlift.
I checked the fuses coming off the battery and they are not popped.

Anybody else make this dumb mistake? Any advice would be much appreciated!

hawkf250

Seaman
Re: Merc 115 Electrical Issue

Look on the electronics on your motor, there is usually a fuse somewhere around the solenoids that control staring and tilt/trim, you may have to disconnect some covers to find them but there in there, there may be one or two that controls the main power coming into you engine, replace them and your back on the water, however, you may have blown your regulator, you will know if your tack doesnt work and/or your battery isn't charging

DJ_Weld

Recruit

Thank you! My launch tonight was a no-go but with your help I may be able to fix my problem and get my crab pots in the water tomorrow morning! Just when I was feeling good about replacing my first bilge pump, I was humbled by realizing I don't know squat about marine electronics.

DJ_Weld

Recruit

Thanks Hawk!
A blown fuse. Also tracked down three other faulty wires -all fixed now. Boat ran like a charm this afternoon.