115 Mariner same as Mercury?

scottybm1

Seaman Apprentice
So I sort of hijacked another thread with this question but figured I'd ask it outright here. I have a 1980 Jetster with a 115 Mariner on it. I assumed that the motor was also a 1980 since I bought the boat and motor from the original owner. What's throwing me off here is that the motor has a distributer and I hear that in 1979 Mercury went distributerless. I had always assumed that they were the same but maybe the Mariner is a year or two behind the Mercury?
any help is appreciated.
Scotty

hawkf250

Seaman
Re: 115 Mariner same as Mercury?

You could still get mercury's and mariners in the early years of the magneto coming into play you could save a few dollars and still go with a distributer also, there were different types of mariers that were actually built by Yamaha. For the most part, mariner and mercury are the same beasts, Its kinda like Chevrolet trucks and GMC

scottybm1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 115 Mariner same as Mercury?

It looks just like a "tower of power" mercury so I'm assuming it's similar. There's a good chance that it's just an early 1979 model motor thrown on a 1980 hull, stranger things have happened. I just found a table with serial numbers that tell what year your motor is so when I get home I'll check it out.