85 hp still not starting-recommissioning

soflaguy

Seaman Apprentice
Hey friends, have a post going on "recommissioning my boat after sitting for 5 years. Its an 89 85hp Force H model. I've been through the fuel pump, new starter, solenoid, circuit breaker, battery. I did finally clean the carbs which did have debris. I did not clean the reeds since they looked so prettity and shiny.
Man, its trying to start. At first it would fire once and quit. Then it started to sound like it was going to start. I would think it is running until I dropped the key and it would stop.
It seems like a fuel issue although it got less and less fire as my battery wore out. I haven't tried jumping it from the car yet. If I do, I'm to disconnect the red wire from the rectifier according to the CDI troubleshoot. Can anybody confirm that?
My plugs just seem so dry. When I put in a new diaphragm for the fuel pump. There was a big spring pushing the diaphragm out. The manual and here on Iboats did not include that spring with my model. I see it on the "B" and L drive models. I did leave that spring off. Also my new ball from my new gas tank through new lines does not stay firm. It seems firm at first but checking it after cranking, it needs to be squeezed again a couple of times.
Am re-charging my battery since I think I was getting the near start when it was fully charged and will try again in the am.
I've had the boat since 7/4. I feel so close. Please get me there. Hurricanes are coming and I may need to skeedaddle.........

soflaguy

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 85 hp still not starting-recommissioning

Wanted to add that i havespark to each cylinder andcompression seems good.

soflaguy

Seaman Apprentice

I was reading another no start post on here and Commander John said :
Set your carb linkage first starting with aligning the trottle plate linkage with the control cable disconnected. All the procedures are in the book. Syncronizing the timing with the throttle will come afterwards.
I believe that is when I set the roller to the line on the cam. My manual says that I should loosen the roller itself and that it has an eccentric screw. I don't know what that means. I haven't messed with that since the roller does sit just at that line. The manual also says to turn theroller until it just touches the cam. My roller seems to sit hard against that cam. I don't see how I could make it just barely touch. I do notice that the cable that controls all that seems to have play. I can wiggle it forward and back a little without it effecting anything. Can somebody give me anything about that screw on the tower? It's supposed to help adjust the cam tothe roller but the roller stays in the same place no matter how that screw is set. Does this effect the fuel delivery?

soflaguy

Seaman Apprentice

Forgot my main question. Should review my posts first I guess. How to disconnect the throttle linkage to adjust? Disconnect from the main control?

soflaguy

Seaman Apprentice

It started! Sounded good. I wasable to start it after discovering that the lanyard was old and not pushing in the button as far as it could go. It was that or either the killswitch where I had to move the throttle? cable just right to push in that button. There's some play in that cable. Can it be made tight or is that normmal?
It would run with the throttle full forward and die as I tried to pull it back. There was alot of white smoke and little black floating specks and oily stuff left in my tub i'm using for water. After 2 or 3 starts, it got easier, starting easy with just a bump of the key. I was able to back it down slowly and get it running real nice for a minute but not in the neutral center of the control. It would die each time I tried that. It was running nice and then, the overheat alarm sounded. I thought it was a buzz but its a high pitched tone. It then did that everytime and it would alarm after 1 minute or less it seems. A buddy said he never saw any water spit out the 2 hole in the back. I had put a new impeller in there. The old one had been chewed some. I'm wondering if the black specks in the water are from it but most likely carbon?
I have a new thermostat in there too. Looking in the housing there, it seemed pretty dry. Maybe just a trace of wetness. There's alot of calcium or whatever mineral old water leaves behind but not enough to see any blockage. Hate to pull the lower leg down again but unless anybody has a better idea......

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

You gotta stick your hand by the upper exhaust...there should be a good very warm flow of water with the exhaust. Wait for the thermostat to open. If I remember correctly it was pushing my hand away...sorry mine hasn't run since the end of last summer so it's not all that clear to me.

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer

Question about what Soflaguy said: Disconnect the red wire from the rectifier before starting. I never heard that before. The reason for my concern is I jumped my deep cycle battery off my running car battery. I have since replaced my rectifier due to my tach not working for years. Is there any harm in jumping a marine battery?

Thanks,
Tom

soflaguy

Seaman Apprentice

SweeperForce, I got that info from a site that makes our electronics. I'll find the link. Its one of a list they have for all the different ignition systems, etc. Lots of electric info on the Force and Mercury. I bookmarked it or copied it.

soflaguy

Seaman Apprentice

Here's a link. Look down tthe list of issues they have for you in the troubleshooting guide. Its cdielectronics.com. Near the top there is a pdf - "Battery charging issues". Click on that. Also look for your ignition type and your horsepower. There's alot of great information there if you ever have electronic issues. BTW, i also had to get a new rectifier as mine tested bad. The replacement part is nothing like the original I had. Was your replacement the same as your original? Does it attach with one or 2 screws?http://cdielectronics.com/downloads/troubleshooting guide/
Let me know if this link does not work.

soflaguy

Seaman Apprentice

You know, it just dawned on me that I got that lnk and other great information from a sticky at the top of the forumns. Its regarding "If you have over-voltage - please read". I put the title in quotes but its not exactly the title but its there near the beginning, you can't miss it. Its an issue I plan to deal with in the future though. I've got more basic problems. In that sticky somewhere, you'll find out that you can get a replacement rectifier for pennies on the dollar from Mouser.com. I can send you a picture of the one I ordered. As I said, it doesn't look the same as the one I have on there thats the original. I haven't done the swap yet since I'm just getting mine running. But that rectifier was less than $2.00+ shipping as opposed to $30 - $40 elsewhere. They have alot of our electronics I think.