Stuck in Neutral!

Dodgerdavn

Cadet
Hello!,<br /><br />I have a '99 Reninell 170 with a 4 cylinder Volvo-Penta set-up. On several occasions the boat has become stuck in neutral. We took it to a boat shop, and the lubed the cables at the outdrive (are those at the top?) What was happening was whe pushing the button in the center of the throttle box, after returning the throttle lever to a neutral position, the button would not pop back out. Well, anyways, he said he lubed the cables and it should work ok. It did for a while. As a matter of fact, the throttle lever was tighter, alsmost too tight. Since then, is has happened a few more times. Does anybody know what I can do to fix this, or lube the cables myself? Thanks for the help!,<br />Dave

boat doc

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Stuck in Neutral!

I have seen problem with those volvo remotes (if it is the american drive) They tend to fail quite often.

Dodgerdavn

Cadet

Hello,<br /><br />Any ideas why? It's an adventure everytime I drop the boat in the water!<br /><br />Thanks!,<br />Dave

pecothern

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like its in the remote. The shifter part the handle is mounted to and not in the cables. Take it loose and look at what's happening when you move it through it's functions. Is there a weak spring behind that button you mentioned? Is the remote itself well greased and lubed?. You can buy a new universal remote for a couple hundred bucks and be through with remote problems.