water flow in 1993 115 Johnson

KitimatSeaSwirl

Recruit
Hello, I'm new to the website. I find it to be excellent (and a little addicting) but have had no luck trying to get my question answered. I'm hoping someone out can help. I have a 1993 115 Johnson V4. It had a little water coming into the cylinder so I am replacing the head gasket. I am confused however. When I look at how the deflectors sit in the cylinder block I am having a difficult time seeing how water is able to pass along the lower right side of the lower cylinder (between the two deflectors). I have a Clymer manual for motors up to 1990. According to that manual my deflectors are in the right place, though they clearly portray there needing to be a space between the upper deflector and the outside of the cylinder block, which my upper deflector doesn't seem to allow for. I am not sure if the configuration should be the same on a 1993. From what I can make out, the water inlet and outlet seem different between the two years (at least how it's presented in the manual). On my 93 model the inlet and outlet ports are at the upper and lower end of the cylinder block (I'm not sure which is inlet and which is outlet). The picture I have portrays both the inlet and outlet ports as being located at the bottom of the cylinder block. I am wondering if someone there might be able to tell me if my deflectors seem to be in the right place, and if not, where do they go. I would appreciate any information you might be able to give me. Oh one last thing, can someone varify the torque setting for the head bolts..I understand them to be between 18-20 ft lbs.

Greatly appreciated,

Attachments

• cylinder block.jpg
    cylinder block.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 1
  • water flow.jpg
    water flow.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: water flow in 1993 115 Johnson

Your middle deflector is out of place and needs to be replaced.

Take a look at these pictures to see what happens when you don't correct this situation.

Attachments

• Xflow Service Specifications.jpg
    Xflow Service Specifications.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1
  • V6 water passage deflectors.jpg
    V6 water passage deflectors.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Misplaced Deflectors.jpg
    Misplaced Deflectors.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Misplaced Deflectors_2.jpg
    Misplaced Deflectors_2.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 1

KitimatSeaSwirl

Recruit

Thanks for the response and the pictures. Looking at the pictures you posted, I am thankfull I caught the problem before anything more serious happened. My head had a slight convex shape warp in the head leaving about a .005 gap in the center. I don't know if this was the result of a lack of water flow, but it seem like a reasonable explanation. Regarding my my questions about the ports...well...that was the novice speaking. I failed to consider that the water flowed through the gasket into the head. I thereby misunderstood the diagram. I have the parts on order and am curious how it will improve how the motor runs (it wasn't keeping an idle).Thanks again for you response.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

This pic shows a correctly placed diverter in the block. The diverter to the right is out of position. You can purchase these diverters from any Bombardier dealer under part number 322411. A misplaced swollen diverter (as in ezeke's pictures) will cause a hot cylinder which can lead to piston scuffing and ring damage over time. That upper cyl will run hot yet still not set off a hot horn in the control box. Possible the heat warped the head in question.

Attachments

• misplaced diverters.jpg
    misplaced diverters.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1

KitimatSeaSwirl

Recruit

Thanks for the information. I wondered about that: why my overheating alarm didn't sound. I'm left feeling a little unsettled that I am not receiving important information regarding my motor's functioning. I am curious why the hot horn would not be set off if, in fact, the cylinder is running hot.